Gun choice

stutieb

Ok haven't been on here for a good few months but would appreciate some advice ?

Just got a new permission not very big 9ish acres lots of cover and not massive distances maybe 60 meters tops between cover/ warrens , it's air gun only no s/g , my gold star although in great nick is just too cumbersome had it must be 18 years and never really gelled with it ... So ,,,

What to do , shot a mates s200 n it is fantastic but can't be ***** with the shot count and refilling , do fancy how easy it was to shoot accurately tho ,but would prefer something less faffy ie tx200hc or a 97 k ,

Must point out it would be 177 , shot 22 all my life and been converted with the s200

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome thanks in advance stu

Airarms TX200 springer £750 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?637171-TX200-SR-177-Venom-Tuned-with-Gary-Cane-Stock.

HW97 £375 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?637201-HW97k-.177-cal-Scope-Mount-Sling-Adjustable-Butt-Pad-and-Pellets.

but you need a Airarms S510 pcp side lever multishot really

presume you cant use a 410 hushpower or fac air

I'd say 500 ish ain't bothered if its second hand , I am just old fashioned and prefer how simple modern springers are but I did like how accurate I was more or less straight away with the pcp even standing shots 40 yards weren't an issue really , could that type of shooting be achievable with a good springer without having to spend years working at it ???

Airarms TX200 springer £750...HW97 £375

...but you need a Airarms S510 pcp side lever multishot really

'You need an AA S510' ! :lol:

No he doesn't! Anymore than he needs a Weirauch HW100 or top end Daystate.

A second hand BSA Ultra would do the job spectacularly well and for £300 or less!

Don't get me wrong, the S510 is a lovely bit of kit, but nobody NEEDS one. The overiding factor is budget.

I will add that I shoot a S510 and love it, but I was still shooting plenty of rabbit with the Ultra.

Edit; Does the £500 budget include filling pump/bottle? If so an AirArms S410 is a really nice gun and you'd have money left for filling kit, but there are options of say a Daystate Hunter or similar as well for 500 quid incl fill kit. In my experience, it's a rare shooter who can match a PCP's accuracy with a springer.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Airarms TX200 springer £750 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?637171-TX200-SR-177-Venom-Tuned-with-Gary-Cane-Stock.

HW97 £375 http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?637201-HW97k-.177-cal-Scope-Mount-Sling-Adjustable-Butt-Pad-and-Pellets.

but you need a Airarms S510 pcp side lever multishot really

presume you cant use a 410 hushpower or fac air

Did think of a silenced 410 haven't spoke to the owner but to be fair I couldn't imagine it being a problem ,it's my uncle and the land is an old landfill site that nature has took over 15 years ago in the middle of now where , wouldn't cost anything to ask would it !!

If it's a springer you are after try the HW97, have a look at "verminhunterstv", Si Pittaway uses one to great effect. His 97 was tuned by Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports and it's as smooth as silk. I don't know where in the UK you are but you could call Tony on 01215202000, he is based in the West Midlands. Good luck.

As the crow flies I'm about 15 mins away from SFS , never been tho !

I have seen Si pittaways channel I subscribe to him and huntersvermin and a few others besides ,

Thanks for the advice all it is all appreciated , while I decide what to do I think I'll send the gold star off for a service and a tune up perhaps and see what jumps out at me in SFS

Cheers lads stu

I really liked my AA S410, , for field work, but I like to keep the beautiful woodwork scratch and dent free

so climbing over barbed wire fences,etc worried me greatly.

After watching Si's BSA Ultra test , I bought a BSA Ultra .22 Tactical Multi shot, had a Regulator fitted by Tench,

(to both the Ultra and My S200),

The Ultra is light , compact, and if it catches a scratch or two , its not the end of the world.

I get 60 shots at 11.4 ftlbs, using JSB Exact. Then it drops of the regulator.

I would thoroughly recommend a BSA Ultra. Cheap new , cheaper secondhand.

The Springer I would recommend is the HW95K, what a piece of kit. Light for a springer, comes with a moderator,

and way better than a BSA Lightning.