new shooting partner

sheffield shooter

My vote would go in favour of springer spaniels. Mad as a bag of frogs but good to train and full of life. Trained and worked both spaniels and labs in the past, but like the spaniels as an all round dog.

The one I have now is used for rough shooting, pigeons and working a shoot. Everyone will have there own opinion on the best dog to get, but it comes down to what you and your other half like. At 8 weeks old they all look cute, but its 3 months down the line that you have to look at. Training takes time and patients with any pup. The more you put in the more you get out of it and don't be afraid to get help from an experienced trainer.

Good luck and have fun.

You say you are going to use it for pigeon shooting mostly, so really there is only one dog that would fit what you are looking for and that is a working bred Lab.

A springer may well do the job, but a lab was bred for the job and takes to sitting still in the hide for hrs, where as the Springer is a dog that likes to be on the move.

Although I have G.s.p s if I only participated in pigeon shooting I would endorse what Actionpigeons wrote. Having said that after training hprs,for many years I feel that whatever breed you settle on

must come from good proven working stock.Its best if you can see both parents working. Best of luck with what ever you decide and remember that what you put into the dog you will get out.

I enjoy the training as much as the working.all views expressed so far are good. as for sex I believe each dog is it self and needs training accordingly to its triants .so even when training you will have ups and downs

but you will get great satisfaction and love from a dog.

You say you are going to use it for pigeon shooting mostly, so really there is only one dog that would fit what you are looking for and that is a working bred Lab.

A springer may well do the job, but a lab was bred for the job and takes to sitting still in the hide for hrs, where as the Springer is a dog that likes to be on the move.

I think any of the better working breeds will do what you want of it if its trained to do what you require ,my cocker will happily sit in a hide for hours on end, so I would say get what dog you like best and train it for your needs.

Having said that I agree hide work will come more naturally for a Lab and if you are inexperienced in training then that would be your easiest route.

ESS are great dogs but for hide work I have always found Labs to be the best.

Used to run six ESS dogs when I was based in Newbury and there where all great but tended to get bored in hides.

Labs tend to be less "sprung" and more relaxed so suited to hide work.