.223 variation success

Ferretboy111

Just picked up a brand spanky new Cz 527 American .223 for £443 (cheapest around here) and 60 remington 55grn soft nose express rounds.

All i need to do is zero it all in then ill wanna get out and remove the foxes which are being a nuisance around my shoot before they become anymore lamp shy.

What do people reckon, zero it at 200yrds?

Ill post pictures of it with my cz american .17hmr aswell ASAP.

ALEX

:lol:

I'm sure others will agree but you have taken one giant leap here from rimfire and my advice would be try different brands of ammo out first and get a feel for the rifle ..........

Zero for .5"- 1" high at 100 yds ..........200 yd shooting at night requires some decent glass and a powerful lamp :lol:

Soft points I found were here and there .........BT's and HP's would be my choice :lol:

Yeah ill experiment with ammo, thats all the shop had.

I shoot rabbits at 150yrds with my .17hmr, so think i should be able to manage it, we usually use a lamp force gunlamp that shines for miles and my tracer max pro gun lamp 400meter beam.

Am going out with an experienced firearms holder first so i can adjust from rimmy to centerfire.

Alex

Alex, I would zero at the distnace you are most likely to encounter your targets, no point in zeroing at 200 yards if they are normally at 100 or less. If they move out then further as they become shy, make some adjustments then.

As Ive says, have a play first before you go out on the real thing, the Federal BT's are the business just a bit pricey. I haven't found Remington ammo to be any good in my rifles.

Don't forget to shoot in your barrel first. Look after it now and it will last a lot longer.

Then once you have done that try some differnt rounds, Frank swears by the American Eagle's i think they are 50grain in his CZ.223 :lol: When you find a round that performs well stick with it :lol:

I would zero at 100 yards :lol:

What scope are you putting on it??

Don't want to preach but, slowly slowly catchy monkey :lol::lol:

Don't forget SAFETY first, that bullet won't come back once the trigger is squeezed :( :o :o

I will not fire a shot unless i am 100% happy with distance,backstop, my mate's slag me for it but it's me behind the rifle and if it went wrong it would be me in the pan :lol: We all know the feeling of going up to a fullbore rifle, but keep your feet on the ground and you won't go wrong :lol:

Here is a performance chart of a 55grain .223 showing bullet drop if zeroed @100yards

BC: 0.222 G1 CAL: 0.223 in WGT: 55 gr

MV: 3240 ft/s CH: 0 ft

WS: 10 mph TS: 10 mph

T: 59 °F PC: 29.92 in Hg H: 0% A: 0 ft

SH: 1.5 in SO: 0 in ZH: 0 in LOS: 0°

Range Drop Wind Lead

(yds) (in) (moa) (in) (moa) (in) (moa)

100 -0.0 -0.0 1.3 1.2 17.6 16.8

125 -0.3 -0.2 2.0 1.5 22.4 17.1

150 -0.8 -0.5 2.9 1.9 27.4 17.4

175 -1.7 -1.0 4.1 2.2 32.6 17.8

200 -3.0 -1.4 5.4 2.6 38.0 18.1

225 -4.6 -2.0 7.0 3.0 43.7 18.5

250 -6.7 -2.5 8.8 3.4 49.5 18.9

275 -9.2 -3.2 10.9 3.8 55.7 19.3

300 -12.2 -3.9 13.2 4.2 62.1 19.8

Everything what Kip and Ive, Stuart have said, is good info. :lol:

In my CZ .223, i find the Federal American Eagle 50 grain hallow point very accurate and cheap and for foxes, what more can you ask for.

Now, saying this, you should still try as many different brands as possible. :lol:

Before taking the new rifle to the range, give it a good clean, to make sure to get all the grease out from inside the barrel, this is important, as it could be dangerouse, as pressure might bild up.

When zeroing, dont let the barrel get too hot, this will give bad groups.

Fire a shot and wait 2 minuites, do this and fire 3 shots at 50 to start, then move out to 100.

Breaking in the rifle from the start is important too, although opnions on this vary. :lol: :o

Best of luck :lol: any questions just ask. :o

Below, a pic of F.A.E. 50 Hallow points :(

Frank.

post-992-1160766441.jpg

Dont worry kip ive been preached too by the firearms man about safety and im now even more safe than i was with my rimfire, i thought it was softly softly catchy monkey?:o :lol:

Like you said its my head on the line,

Alex

:lol::lol: you got what i was trying to say that's the main thing :lol: :o Good luck