how do i get started?

the hide shooter

Hi

iv been shoting for around 6years now and iv always wondered where to get started when it comes to wild fowling? I have alot of permission for my normal quarry, but not alot with flood water ect, how do you get to go and shoot the shore/marsh/estuaries? Do i need to join a club? Or is it a case of finding the owner and getting permission as usual?

atb T.H.S

Depends where your to/planning to go generally speaking in England a lot of the shore is taken up either by a club or some conservation group as for the privately owned marshes unless your Donald trump forget it. There are a few places like lindisfarne that are permitted and you can buy a permit the basc have a wildfowling booklet that you can get for free this gives you info on places like lindisfarne and other clubs that offer day tickets but most basc affiliated clubs do day tickets/taster flights. If its Scotland a lot of the shore is free shooting but there are restrictions on certain parts. Where ever it is you would like to go try and get some one to take you out that knows the marsh as most people that shoot the marsh no it can be a hazardous place with tides and weather. A bit more info on where your to or planning to go would be handie mate. Cheers Shaun

Have a look at this link,

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/departments/wildfowling/wildfowling-permit-scheme-.cfm

If you contact them for the permit book, it'll give you a list of the marshes which are part of the permit scheme, you can then find one close to you and there will be someone to contact who will be able to sort a day ticket and show you the marsh. That would be the best way of doing it, then you decide if the sport is for you and look at joining the club!

Im right on the coast in northwest cumbria,

i do have a permission with a small stretch of tidal river running through but theres nothing visiting it, at least not that iv noticed!

Thankyou for your info its much appreciated, i will certainly look at all my options! Its

somthing ive always wanted to try so here we go!!

Atb

Im right on the coast in northwest cumbria,

i do have a permission with a small stretch of tidal river running through but theres nothing visiting it, at least not that iv noticed!

Thankyou for your info its much appreciated, i will certainly look at all my options! Its

somthing ive always wanted to try so here we go!!

Atb

That might be true "that there is nothing visiting it" or it might be that they only visit it under specific conditions or time of day / night, moon or state /height of tide. Such is wildfowling, predicting the movements and timings of "wild" fowl. You might be better heading over the border into Scotland and getting in touch with guides etc. The North West of England is a very hard place to get Day ticket wildfowling in general, without a knowing a member of the club and getting a guest day permit