help needed going back to air rifle wich one and a alternative from sc

littlerob

hi I'm going back to shooting with an air rifle have used springer's for shooting with fair results but soon as i add a scope 4x.9x42 i would hardly hit a thing had them zero by gun shops to no help still couldn't hit a barn door now have been thinking about getting a pcp which one and one with fixed iron sight or is there some type of sight/ scope that would suit me better oh and looking for a full power sub12

Sorry I cant think of the top of my head of a single PCP that comes with open sights , I take it the issue you have is you cant hold a gun steady enough and a sight at 4x mag makes any movement you make look 4x worse 9x = 9 x worse etc.

You may be better with a red dot type sight as these have no magnification , but the range they can be used at is much more limited.

i can hit a 10p coin with iron sights with me cometa 50 at roughly 15-20 yards looking for a file to drop a rabbit at 25.30 yards with iorn sight or a other type of scope like i said im fine with iron sight but come to a scope i cant hit a coke can at 25 yards but will hit it every time with iron sights

There must be a simple reason why you cannot hit targets with a scope but can,at a fair range,with open sights.Open sights require the alignment of 3 seperate plains as opposed to 2 with a scope.My guess would be 1/ Incorrect parralax scope 2/You are not centering your eye to the eyepiece.Try another scope (beg,steal or borrow a dedicated Airgun scope) and concentrate on the edge of your vision as you look thru the scope-make sure your eye is central by the black ring that circles the image if you slowly move your head backwards.Does your gun have a raised cheekpiece?

the guns i have used bsa spitfire .22 had hawke hd 4x32 couldn't hit a thing webely valuemax 177 had 4x9x50 AO nikko stirling mountmaster could barley hit a coke can at 25 yards soon as i taken the sight or and went back to iron could get 1inch groups at 20 yards used a brocock 6 that had a tasco 4x40 still the same maybe its jst me i cant get on with scope i know its not ideal to be shooting rabbits and pigeon with iron sight past 15-20 yards

the guns i have used bsa spitfire .22 had hawke hd 4x32 couldn't hit a thing webely valuemax 177 had 4x9x50 AO nikko stirling mountmaster could barley hit a coke can at 25 yards soon as i taken the sight or and went back to iron could get 1inch groups at 20 yards used a brocock 6 that had a tasco 4x40 still the same maybe its jst me i cant get on with scope i know its not ideal to be shooting rabbits and pigeon with iron sight past 15-20 yards

Hatsan BT65 RB has optional fixed type sights,tremendous gun a little heavy but they do come with a strap and bipod as standard,you can also have the choice of a rear or side bolt.Good luck.

ATB

Sorry I cant think of the top of my head of a single PCP that comes with open sights , I take it the issue you have is you cant hold a gun steady enough and a sight at 4x mag makes any movement you make look 4x worse 9x = 9 x worse etc.

You may be better with a red dot type sight as these have no magnification , but the range they can be used at is much more limited.

I can, Hatsan AT44!

Also if you can't use a telescopic sight, have you tried a hot dot?

Edited by secretagentmole

Hatsan AT 44 10 W. £200 to £300.

Hatsan BT 65 10 W .£300 to £400.

Both guns have open sights fiber optic on the new ones i think ??.

Both are excellent Rifles 10 shot mags. Air gauge. Walther match Barrels very accurate.

The BT 65 is a big beast of a gun. Both are very good value for your money.

Has Mole said have you tried a Red dot sight or a Hot dot sight.

I can`t understand why you are having so much trouble with using a Scope.

I bet it`s something and nothing could it be bad mounts on a springer.

I was taught to shoot 22 rf with peep type diopter sights and moved onto air guns with the same set up. With the rimmy I was into 2" at 50 yards and similar " with the air gun at about 35/40 yards. Target acquisition was far faster than with a scope and saved a lot of weight and keeping the overall balance of the gun.

Any gun can be made to fit the open sights air arms made a muzzle break for the s200 with the front diopter mount already in place this can be put onto a s400/410, finding a peep rear sight is a little harder though.

Just a thought if you are determined to run open sights having your silencer/muzzle break machined to accept a low front sight wouldn't be expensive :)

My next air gun will be along the lines if a BSA lightning modified to run open sights for use around the barns. Be a nice project if anything else lol.

sounds like a the hatsan maybe worth a look at haven't try a hot dot or a red dot im only looking to take rabbit and pigeons to a range of 30yards maybe a littler more i haven't own a pcp but have shot them the two guns a had in mind was air arm s200 or s410 im not a big buy only 5'5 and 10stone like i said just cant get on with telescopic sight would a laser be a option in the day with a red dot scope

you will need to be very skilled to get clean kills at 30 yrds with iron sites. get a .177 and a decent scope and rest on something to keep you steady and zero it in yourself to suit your own eye. I cant think of any reason why iron sites would be easier than a good scope. get something like a hawke hd sport 3-9 x 40 with paralax you will get pellet on pellet at 20-30yrds

have try all sorts of style with shooting with a scope from a cheap bipod to laid down shooting resting it on a bean bag loads but with a scope cant hit a coke can at 25 yards and can easy hit the same target at them same dissent the with one hand with iron sight my shooing skills is not bad at all with iron sight clothes pegs i can hit them at 20 yards with iron so again any recomendation for pcp with iron sight