Opinel Appreciation

Salop Matt

guys - i always used to carry a knife in my pocket , for cutting twine to open bales , gutting rabbits , various farm work etc etc .

Anyway when the law changed i stoped carrying one , god the amount of times i have needed a knife since then , reach in my pocket and its not there.

so i,m going through a box of bits the other day and came across my old no 8 , bit rusty and cleaned it up.

question - can we legally carry these anymore , i more or less always have a use for one , are they classed as lock knives

thanks

It musnt have a loking feature and cant be over 3" to legal carry !

Alot of folk seem to have the number 8..... Dont you find it a little big for bunnys ? I have a 6 and think the blade size is spot on but the handles a bit small but a size 7 or 8 handle on it would be good !

I think it has to be under 3 inches or something like that, and non locking, the make a non locking opinel, not sure how long the blade is though.

As I have found out when opening mine with the "Lock" on, the locking collar can be removed from an opinel knife.

I always carry one with me when out with dogs or on permission etc. I have sometimes forgot about it and gone shopping too.

Unless you walk round shouting BLUH BLUH and callin everyone a homie while wearing your hood up drawing attention to yourself I don't think anyone will ever know or be that bothered.

Edited to say I have a number 6 and 8 and a saw type :)

Edited by Goodlittlebitch

Where do you all buy them from? I bought mine from http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.co.uk/

I didn't have any trouble with the order, but I have subsequently heard that they have a pretty rotten customer service

I have a No.8, and bought an INOX (stainless steel) one which I gifted to someone. Both excellent quality blades.

Edited by aris

i use the number 6 wouldnt carry anything else.

Technically, this is not a legal carry knife as you can lock the blade. Sure you are highly unlikely to have a problem - but, if you were ever stopped, in theory you could be done for it - and all the consequences which comes with carrying such a knife. I think the largest non-locking one they make is a No.5 - 6cm - about 2 1/4 inches.

Technically, this is not a legal carry knife as you can lock the blade. Sure you are highly unlikely to have a problem - but, if you were ever stopped, in theory you could be done for it - and all the consequences which comes with carrying such a knife. I think the largest non-locking one they make is a No.5 - 6cm - about 2 1/4 inches.

The locking piece's just slide of quite easily if you want to take it off

6, 7 or 10 when I’m out shooting.

Sharpest knife that I have got is a Norwegian Helle knife. (Look at it and your cut)

At work and around I used to carry a Leatherman wave on belt but now all I carry is a plastic handled draper tools 3" non lock folder. This cheapy is a Chinese thing with a stainless blade that takes a really good edge.

I see it as a problem of > It is highly unlikely to have a problem with the law about carry but so many plods these days just go right over the top and if they want a crime figure or a trip back to base then you are likely to get collared and then they might come round to have a look at everything else that you've got. Don’t underestimate how serious all of this can get. Years ago it would have been a comment like " you cant carry that, take it home and leave it there" but now it would probably be that they try and throw a caution at you, which is an admission of guilt and as such will stay on you record or a more serious charge.

Could depend on which way the wind is blowing.