some help please chaps

bi9johnny

i have been shooting for near 30 years this year but have never gotten into the stalking side but would like to, not in a big way but maybe 2/3 times a year and not medals so please give me advice on the following if you would be so kind

a, if i shoot my first deer would the stalker show me how to gralloch properly as being quick on the bunnies doesn't give the experience required

b, is it best to go through a company or accept an invite

c, if using a company would i get to keep the carcass , as this is something i would want to do

d, can you shoot more than one in a day on a paid stalk

e, when you take the carcass home it would need hanging before butchering and freezing so would i take it home out of the skin and headless so as to hang in the garage for how long

f, is there a company/agent anyone would recommend for a total virgin like me

g, being as i am the build of a roundabout are there stalking opportunities that dont involve yomping over moors and mountains

h, and out of curiosity how much roughly would i pay for said trip

i thank you in anticipation

regards

john

Edited by bi9johnny

Hi Johnny, try Mike at Carlton moor range, £65 for a stalk. Carcass will be gralloched in field by him or he will show you how to do it. If you take carcass whole I think it stays in skin til you get it home, hygiene issues. Red does available at the moment, these are quite big so beware, also as wild animals they are not always around but he will try his best for you. Google his website and ring @ 7:00 ish. Good luck ,

S

Jelen are miles away, have a look at Yorkshire Roe stalking on here and the SD etc far closer and you might well find Roe does are not a bad price. You will get all the tuition you want with regard to gralloching and most stalkers taking guests expect to do it themselves so usually enjoy someone who wants to have a go. Carcass has a value so its not usually included in the cost of the stalk but at a guess a roe would be £40 ish on top, hanging at home depends a lot on weather conditions if you don't have a chiller. If cold they can go a week if not you can butcher as soon as its set personally without a chiller I usually do it the next day.

As for liking your food its surprising how many stalkers I've been out with of a similar disposition and really most will tailor the outing to your requirements after all you are the paying guest

Jelen are miles away, have a look at Yorkshire Roe stalking on here and the SD etc far closer and you might well find Roe does are not a bad price. You will get all the tuition you want with regard to gralloching and most stalkers taking guests expect to do it themselves so usually enjoy someone who wants to have a go. Carcass has a value so its not usually included in the cost of the stalk but at a guess a roe would be £40 ish on top, hanging at home depends a lot on weather conditions if you don't have a chiller. If cold they can go a week if not you can butcher as soon as its set personally without a chiller I usually do it the next day.

As for liking your food its surprising how many stalkers I've been out with of a similar disposition and really most will tailor the outing to your requirements after all you are the paying guest

John at yds is also a top lad, both are Zeiss pro stalkers so obviously know their business, I've had good outings with both of them, Yds is Driffield and Carlton moor is near Ashbourne.

S

You could do a lot worse than going out with John (YDS) What he doesn't know about deer stalking isn't really worth knowing, he really is a great guy and you would certainly learn a lot from him!

I don't know what he would charge but you can be sure that it would be worth every penny! :good: