Right flightline, wrong flightline, no flightline.

JDog

I was on the rape fields of the new estate I have taken on for pigeon control by 9am this morning. The pigeons I suspect had already had a crop full by then and they were sitting up in the trees. Conditions were perfect, a strong wind and overcast.

Even though this shooting is new to me I have worked out one line into the chosen field and I duly set up along a tall hedge with the wind from left to right, the rotary well to my left and the pattern infront of me. For an hour and a half birds came steadily. They did not decoy very well and I was continually putting the floaters further from the hide in order to get the birds to fly inside them and into the pattern. By the time I had finished moving the floaters they were 50m from the hide but they worked well at this distance.

In the first hour and a half I shot and picked 40 birds, then the line dried up. It did not dry up completely but I could see the reason why I was not seeing many birds on my line when I scanned into the distance, three fields away, and I could see a continual line of pigeons in groups of 15 to 30 heading I knew not where. From being in the right place I was suddenly on a line which was poor. For every bird that came near me I could see 30 or 40 on the other line.

I stuck it out for another hour and shot a further 17 until nothing came my way at all giving a bag for the morning of 57 pigeons.

When I left the farm track and turned onto the road I glanced into the opposite field and saw 500-600 pigeons. This was the end of the other flight line.

I just started with a rotary and two floaters with dead birds shot the previous day. The rape was quite high (unusual for this year I know). Any decoys on the ground would have been lost in the rape leaves. I did put dead birds out in tramlines on spikes as I shot them. It was the movement of the rotary and the floaters which brought the birds in.

First of all well done on 57 thats a good bag i often find you have to decoy one field in the morning and by early afternoon have to move to another field dont be afraid to move if the birds move you will often find flight linds dry up after a few hours shooting and they will go to a field where it is quiet so you have to follow them .then there are times when they just keep coming to the field you are in be flexible and move if you have to

Atb andy