calling in a fox

kiffy

hi guys, although ive been shooting for donkies years as ive only recently got my sgc its been with an airgun so have never had a thought of shooting a fox before but i have a permission a few minutes walk from my home that the farmer has just had a fox issue with. he had a few chickens and ducks taken and saw two foxes in his farm yard one afternoon last week so im hoping i can help him unfortunatly i have no idea so thought id ask you guys for help.

i went up yesterday evening, armed with some 50g bb carts and set up near the edge of the wood they think the foxes are living in, put out my ucaller with some fox calls and rabbit distress calls etc and sat hiding in the bushes until well after dark and no sign.. any tips on what i can do, is a caller worth using?

Foxes can be very hard to call in, if they catch your scent then you could be there a week and not get anything.

I do get some success with a caller, but most of my foxes are cage trapped for dispatch.

A cage trap might be best, if you can justify the investment.

Bait it with a shot and torn open rabbit, or possibly some breast of lamb from your local butcher (v cheap).

It'll sit there working while you are asleep in bed. Must (by law) be checked every 24 hours. Depending on farm cats, etc. you might need to locate it a fair distance from the house, if they are living in a wooded area then that would be perfect, just on the edge, plenty of cover.

Half the battle is knowing their routine, foxes can be regular as clockwork get your farmer keeping an eye out and try and work out when they are visiting, then you can try baiting a certain point and then sitting and waiting. You will have to be lucky with a shotgun though its far easier with a rifle, especially this time of year when you aren't dealing with naive cubs

I've had success using manual ( mouth ) operated calls in the daytime. Especially when there is snow about and mousing etc is harder. A hungry fox is likely to come to a call. You need to be quick and keep your eyes open, they will likely see you first if your not on form. Get them with in 30 yards and give them one through the shoulders, two if you feel the need with a decent cartridge load that you know they won't walk away injured from. I love daytime foxing it may not be the most efficient way of controlling them but it takes sharp eyes and quick reactions, good fun!

Half the battle is knowing their routine, foxes can be regular as clockwork get your farmer keeping an eye out and try and work out when they are visiting, then you can try baiting a certain point and then sitting and waiting. You will have to be lucky with a shotgun though its far easier with a rifle, especially this time of year when you aren't dealing with naive cubs

as al4x has said they can be regular buy a cheep alarm clock for £2 put a dead rabbit out tied to bit of string and tape battery to other end then peg clock down do it every night for a few days see if clock stops same time then you will know what time he is visiting area then go there 1 hour before then and bait up with some cat/dog food trod into ground and sit down wind may work

colin