Sloe berries

Andy17

hi all,

I have noticed the amount of sloe berries around at the moment. Is now an ok time to pick them?, could anyone give me some measurements and info on what to do, how long to leave it to ferment etc.

All the best

Andy

Have a look here:

http://www.sloe.biz/

Personally I pick them before the birds find them and then pop them in the freezer for a few weeks. No need to ***** them then.

Ti make a few interesting sorts of sloe gin you can add a few things such as a shot of port, a piece of cinamon stick and so on.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Hmmm im debating leaving them all together this year. The winter is... well.. isnt here, and the berries dont look healthy and juicy like last year. Think il miss out this year, not worth it :stupid:

I was hoping to save one bottle from every years batch.. I geuss 2006 will be left behind.

It just goes to show how different areas of the country AND different bushes differ.

Most of the berries I have picked from Flintshire and Denbighshire (north east Wales) have been about the size of a large marble and very juicy. Some have burst as they have been picked. However, some bushes have produced masses of tiny sloes, not worth picking.

I left mine until just after the first frost and I now have 4 litres of sloe gin on the go and about 2 kilos of berries in the freezer - definately a good year over here!

Conversely, my Mum did me a favour and picked me some sloes from Anglesey. They were small and not very juicy. I gave them a blast in the freezer and then bottled them up ... lacking any gin I ended up making up a bottle of sloe vodka! I will let you know in 6 months what that is like :stupid:

I would say to have a good look around in your own area and see if you can any decent ones.

Happy sloe hunting :stupid:

Karl