Any ideas of value value / usage of this gun ?

muttsnutts

any body on here can shed any light on if this gun is worth anything I have not much info apart from its possibly dated from 1910 and was made in London by John rigby. It is all complete in case it's a 20 bore sbs ejector. I'm not sure it still can be used due to excessive pitting in bores see pics. Bore pics not very good quality though. What u guys think ?

post-53044-0-90802900-1361032335_thumb.jpg

post-53044-0-77107400-1361032418_thumb.jpg

post-53044-0-89997800-1361032500_thumb.jpg

post-53044-0-50333800-1361032509_thumb.jpg

No one is going to be able to give you a price based on a couple of small photo`s.

Rigby is (was) a well respected maker; but only a paractical gunsmith is going to tell you if the barrels could be lapped out after measuring the wall thickness. Depending what the bore size was when originally proofed; it may be able to lap it or even fine bore it to remove the pitting. But this will invariably mean it needs re-proofing. Only a working gunsmith is going to be able to tell you if its likely (or not) to pass proof. There is a risk attached, because it could fail. You then end up with a bag of bits; but still owe for the work carried out and the proof costs !

The case is probably worth £150 - 250 so its not all gloom. However, as has been pointed out, you need someone to gauge and examine the barrels before a ball park figure can be arrived at.

Edited by JJsDad

No one is going to be able to give you a price based on a couple of small photo`s.

Rigby is (was) a well respected maker; but only a paractical gunsmith is going to tell you if the barrels could be lapped out after measuring the wall thickness. Depending what the bore size was when originally proofed; it may be able to lap it or even fine bore it to remove the pitting. But this will invariably mean it needs re-proofing. Only a working gunsmith is going to be able to tell you if its likely (or not) to pass proof. There is a risk attached, because it could fail. You then end up with a bag of bits; but still owe for the work carried out and the proof costs !

The case is probably worth £150 - 250 so its not all gloom. However, as has been pointed out, you need someone to gauge and examine the barrels before a ball park figure can be arrived at.

Thanks for all replys, sorry about photos joys of not being able to resize photos on iPad. I think it may be gone to far and not worth the cost of re proofing ect so may just scrap rather then forking out on a unknown. Going to get a gunsmith to look at it in the week hopefully. Could try uploading bigger ones if it makes a difference ?. Case and bits all there snap caps, oil and grease tins, cleaning kit. Firing pin stopper. Look out on the guns for sale section soon may well be there lol.

Scrapping it seems a rather sad end for a nice old English 20 bore. There is a value there, even if its a case of parting with it to a gunsmith who is going to re-barrel or sleeve it.

Dont expect him to pay top dollar, because even sleeving it is going to cost an arm and a leg. De-activating it is going to set you back £80 to £120 depending who does it.

If you havent got the cash now to get it sleeved; hang onto it. In 10 years time you may have. However; take advice from a decent gunsmith. If he is an honest type he will give you the options and costs and the likelyhood of its value once its been repaired.

Scrapping it seems a rather sad end for a nice old English 20 bore. There is a value there, even if its a case of parting with it to a gunsmith who is going to re-barrel or sleeve it.

Dont expect him to pay top dollar, because even sleeving it is going to cost an arm and a leg. De-activating it is going to set you back £80 to £120 depending who does it.

If you havent got the cash now to get it sleeved; hang onto it. In 10 years time you may have. However; take advice from a decent gunsmith. If he is an honest type he will give you the options and costs and the likelyhood of its value once its been repaired.

Somebody told me in would cost just under £1000 to get it re sleeved that's why I thought about scrapping. Does sound fairy high to me though ?

Somebody told me in would cost just under £1000 to get it re sleeved

Get a proper quote from a real gunsmith!

http://www.teaguepre...resleeving.html

http://www.teaguepre....uk/prices.html

Chamber Resleeving £325 +VAT & Proof costs i think but go see Mr Teague for a quote (only up the M5) If the barrels need replacing then £1000 is closer but thats where it needs proper assessment and measuring

Edited by HDAV

Get a proper quote from a real gunsmith!

http://www.teaguepre...resleeving.html

http://www.teaguepre....uk/prices.html

Chamber Resleeving £325 +VAT & Proof costs i think but go see Mr Teague for a quote (only up the M5) If the barrels need replacing then £1000 is closer but thats where it needs proper assessment and measuring

Think I need to. Will report back after seeing the gunsmiths :-)

My trusted local Gunsmith is quoting £950 for sleeving. So your advice given of £1000 isnt to far out. You have to take into account a pair of sleeving tubes, a lot of very skilled machining and hand work plus re-blacking and proof charges. Be aware that the post refering to the good Mr Teague is for sleeving the chambers only.