Battery cages in game farming question

Reece

While searching the forum, I came across this thread from a few years ago, about the use of battery cages in game farming:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/111322-s-times-article-on-cages/page__hl__%2Barticle+%2Bcages

I have heard that these battery cages were then banned/minimum size limits brought in, and then the rules were later overturned, but am unsure as to whether either of this is true.

Perhaps someone from BASC could enlighten me. What is the situation regarding these cages now?

If u check the code of good practice for game rearing/farming it should tell u wot they reccommend. Or check the GFA site

Summariseing the way i understood it (which may not be 100% right) Basc were the only ones trying to bring in the minium size, they took an awful lot off stick from everyone lost a lot of members and every other org (CA, NGO, GFA) who wanted things to stay the same or to change to an 'enriched laying crate' which i never understood. Basically putting astro turf and braches in the crates which would harbour disease defeating the very point in crates.

It is stanard practice to use crates for partridge pairs but i dunno how common they are in this country for pheasants, most of the game farms i now still use grass laying pens.

The code of practice does not basically outlaw their use. A well managed raised laying system with enrichment meets and in some areas exceeds the code. Uninriched units will not meet the code.

When I started game farming I did not think there was a place in the industry for them, this was based on what I had heard and not seen obviously a naive view. Having visited a few farms that uses them I can see there is a place in the industry. They obviously have there downfalls just like grass pens do but they are anothere way of doing things that should not be shunned by ignorance.

A well managed raised system is just as good as a well managed grass system and likewise a poor grass system is just as bad as a poor raised system. It is down to the quality of the man or woman managing that system that makes the differeance.

Reece asked whether "battery cages" were still permitted.

I answered in post #5 "The Code of Good Practice basically outlaws their use because it is impossible to fulfil the requirements of the code when using battery cages". This is correct.

We must not confuse battery cages (barren raised cages) with enriched cages as approved by the "code".

The Code of good practice prohibits the use of "battery cages" as they do not provide the enrichment required.

You may find reading http://www.gfa.org.u...ying-units/ of interest.

Edited by CharlieT