Found a load for the hornet

I have found a load for my hornet after some disappointing results up till now. I tried all the factory ammo I could get my hands on to try and find out how the rifle performed but none were looking too good, the best being sellier and bellot giving me groups of 1 1/2" at best. After trying a few homeloads and not bettering the sellier and bellot I was tempted to give up. I tried different brass, different bullets, different primers and different powders but it all came together yesterday with winchester brass, winchester SR primers, 12.4gr lil gun and 35gr v-max which gave me a nice 5 shot cluster which measured just under 1/2" @100 yards. I had the v-max in the cupboard but was reluctant to try them as the factory 35gr v-max was horrendous. One thing that IMO made an improvement was crimping with a lee factory crimp die. Has anyone else had trouble loading for the hornet? Another thing I wondered about but didn't try was pistol primers, does anyone on here use pistol primers for the hornet?

I have found a load for my hornet after some disappointing results up till now. I tried all the factory ammo I could get my hands on to try and find out how the rifle performed but none were looking too good, the best being sellier and bellot giving me groups of 1 1/2" at best. After trying a few homeloads and not bettering the sellier and bellot I was tempted to give up. I tried different brass, different bullets, different primers and different powders but it all came together yesterday with winchester brass, winchester SR primers, 12.4gr lil gun and 35gr v-max which gave me a nice 5 shot cluster which measured just under 1/2" @100 yards. I had the v-max in the cupboard but was reluctant to try them as the factory 35gr v-max was horrendous. One thing that IMO made an improvement was crimping with a lee factory crimp die. Has anyone else had trouble loading for the hornet? Another thing I wondered about but didn't try was pistol primers, does anyone on here use pistol primers for the hornet?

It is said that pistol primers are very good. However, I tried the CCI 500 and got erratic results in my rifles. They seem to prefer the CCI Small Rifle. There again, I also had a bit of a nasty with the more fierce Winchester SRs

It may just pay to check out the 35 V Max at extended ranges if you are going to shoot passed the 100 yards. Beyond that distance, things are sometimes known to go to pot.

Obviously you've got it sorted, but if you're up for a fiddle, then H110 can (emphasise can) be a better Hornet powder for bullet under 40 grains.

I found pistol primers to make a real difference in mine. And the crimp is also essential. I always used CCI pistol though which have proven poor in wymberley's gun - just goes to prove that no two guns are the same!

35gr V-Max shot well for me out to 200. I started having issues and I started talking with other Hornet users who didn't get on with them so I changed. Nothing really did well at that point and I started getting fed up. I had the bore checked and it was tired. So it never was the bullet that was the issue.

They're poor for really long shots but if you use the Hornet as a carry gun for small quarry like rabbits and the odd fox like you would a HMR they're fine. If you want the best from your gun then perhaps they're not so ideal, but that's what bigger guns are for!

I'd say the crimp is the single biggest factor in group size with this round. It was for me.

Did you try RWS tms 46grn splitzer in factory? In mine these are very good, they are factory crimped. I feel straightness (consenticity) and good brass is key to top Hornet performance, Crimp dies force the round straighter but I get under .002" run out using LE Wilson Hand dies. 35 v-max shoot bug-holes on my 50yds rim fire range here but barely ok at 100 yds total rubbish once they get to 150 and it seriously makes little difference if you even aim them at 200! On wind they are akin to hmr, so I saw no point in continuing that one. I am using pistol primers I found my SD came down significantly but am still playing with that one as brand to brand is as important as s/r or pistol. at 225 yds the RWS factory will hold an inch in my cz my home loads with 45 grn bullets will intersect on the holes if I do my bit but they are 400 fps faster