Using a terrier

.philmypower.

Been doing a lot of reading up and I can't seem to get a straight answer.

Am I right in saying that a terrier may be used for the use of bolting a fox and only for protecting game birds. Are you allowed to use a terrier to bolt a fox from somewhere that has chickens. Also I if the fox doesn't bolt and you have to dig is that legal.

Reagan the country side any 2004 I think it was called and its very hard to understand

Thanks

Others will undoubtedly provide more useful replies than me, but you need to read http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/37/schedule/1 ... In brief however;

You can't use a terrier underground to work a fox because it is bothering chickens or any other domestic livestock, only gamebirds.

You need to be the landowner or have their written permission

Only one terrier can be entered at a time

You need to take reasonable stps to ensure that the fox is shot as soon as it bolts (netting is OK)

You can dig

I'm sure they're eating his pheasants...

You are looking for logic where none exists - remember this was a law that was purely designed to stop organised foxhunts. BASC negotiated with the then rural affairs minister Alan Michael re. the game bird exemption while the other representative orgs simply opposed the entire hunting act.

I'm sure they're eating his pheasants...

You are looking for logic where none exists - remember this was a law that was purely designed to stop organised foxhunts. BASC negotiated with the then rural affairs minister Alan Michael re. the game bird exemption while the other representative orgs simply opposed the entire hunting act.

Swift did that without consulting other organisations with more experience like the National Working Terrier Federation who negotiated a much better deal in Scotland in conjunction with the Scottish Gamekeepers Association, The Scottish Hill Packs Association, The Scottish Countryside Alliance, The National Farmers Union. We presented a united front to the Scottish Executive so they had no reasonable argument against the facts that the Practitioners put to them. Thats why in Scotland we can still use a full pack of hounds and I can still do fox control with terriers the way we always did I.E. Bolting them and shooting them. After we got what we needed I had the pleasure of standing and being told by John Swift at Cardross house that I "didn't understand politics" this was after WE had negotiated a better deal than him he was a patronizing tit.

Swift did that without consulting other organisations with more experience like the National Working Terrier Federation who negotiated a much better deal in Scotland in conjunction with the Scottish Gamekeepers Association, The Scottish Hill Packs Association, The Scottish Countryside Alliance, The National Farmers Union. We presented a united front to the Scottish Executive so they had no reasonable argument against the facts that the Practitioners put to them. Thats why in Scotland we can still use a full pack of hounds and I can still do fox control with terriers the way we always did I.E. Bolting them and shooting them. After we got what we needed I had the pleasure of standing and being told by John Swift at Cardross house that I "didn't understand politics" this was after WE had negotiated a better deal than him he was a patronizing tit.

"was" ?

Not disagreeing with the general thrust of that, although I think the general position of anti MPs south of the border was far more entrenched than their brethren in the (then) Executive.