Roost Shooting

Hi, member of small self run #pheasant shoot in a Forestry woodland, we also have the roost shooting, I have found most of the pigeons seem to go into the conifer plantations, early birds go into the high beech trees on the edge, then drop down into the conifers, when i try to shoot them in the conifers they are either too quick or too high or just cant see the *******, should I be patient and wait in one spot, can hear flapping and cooing it winds me up !! or keep mobile and move to where i think birds are going in. Very frustrating at the moment as its difficult to see flightlines through the trees, some feathers on the floor, but found no **** yet. is it worth decoying into the field at the woods edge early on ?

Cheers

I was on a Roost the other day with no wind that I could feel, the birds were coming in to the wood from all directions.

After an hour or so I could feel the wind pick up, only then could I say that's the way they will come in (head to wind).

Every time you move things tend to go quiet, and no birds will come in for about 5-10mins (not always the case)

We will decoy going into some woods if we get to the site early, other woods birds just go right in no matter what you put out (know your wood)

We have many woods and know/guess the woods they will pick, birds tend to like Christmas trees when very cold...but this may be all you have. The more you shoot the wood the more you will learn about it, you will also get used to the flight lines in....but you have to be outside to see them so recon it a few times

You will see some nights birds come in nice and slow, next time they come screaming in leaving no time to get your shot off.

Once you have shot a roost, give it a rest as the next night they will not be that keen of going back in to get shot at again.

Be aware other birds may be roosting as well, so be sure it's what you want to shoot.

Fresh poo is always a good sign of how many birds are roosting, and help decide how many guns you will need to cover it

Decoys and poles arrived today.....went up the woods about 3pm spotted a holly tree with about 20 birds in it. carried all the gear across the woods, birds flew off, put decoys up in the bush. settled down all cammoed up misty evening little wind back to a bush finished at 6;30pm. 2 shots and one of those was at a pair of passing Rooks. two decent birds did come in but was not concentrating sod's law. I had a nightmare getting the decoys out of the tree, think i might get a big magnet and tape it to the end of the lofting pole next time, thought about gaffer taping a cut of plastic bottle to the top as well, and was late to the pub !! NOT giving UP !! back tomorrow and going to try a different part of the wood, not sure about the roost decoys though, might put them up and move about a bit as well, then pick them up sunday morning . Could take the wife for a walk as its mothers day and get them then!!

We have a Roost tomorrow, and I am working til 4pm so have decided to take my video camera (cheep £40 job).

I will leave the gun behind and see if I can get a bit of shooting filmed on this Topic.

look forward to seeing the results ;)

I was out tonight, a bit late for the roost after work so this short video was taken at about 4.30pm we had lots of fog/mist so sorry for quality.

I noticed about 250 or so Pigeon above a field so stopped the car.

You will see a small copse middle of picture, the birds were flying round it then...bang....went right in.

These never followed any fight lines, other birds were also going in and did along East of copse.

As I got to the copse I could see the large wood next to it had birds going in, and to the left a small group of Firs had about 50 going in.

We have a Roost on Sunday, and will give this area some attention

I may need a Machine Gun if they drop in like that all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So20YCMIRT0&list=UUCepBy3gVYeKyt0vyMtOLCg&index=1

Edited by The Ghost

This is the area we were told had 2,000 pigeon in a single field the other day....they went in that quick.....I think you would be shocked sitting in there.

They have broken up into smaller groups now, this is a good time to see whats about never saw 2,000 but was doing the recon rounds for Sunday .

It was like the M25 hitting the big wood you got you PB Bigman with Fenny, and to the left in the firs was very busy.

I think four/five guns would have a great roost one day soon I think, have more video of other roost areas but misty conditions did not help.

These Birds (about 100) followed the drain right towards me, took a right turn and roosted in one of our permmissions/woods

Again these were coming from the East into roost, very little wind....this is about three miles from roost site above

Edited by The Ghost

I was out tonight, a bit late for the roost after work so this short video was taken at about 4.30pm we had lots of fog/mist so sorry for quality.

I noticed about 250 or so Pigeon above a field so stopped the car.

You will see a small copse middle of picture, the birds were flying round it then...bang....went right in.

These never followed any fight lines, other birds were also going in and did along East of copse.

As I got to the copse I could see the large wood next to it had birds going in, and to the left a small group of Firs had about 50 going in.

We have a Roost on Sunday, and will give this area some attention

I may need a Machine Gun if they drop in like that all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So20YCMIRT0&list=UUCepBy3gVYeKyt0vyMtOLCg&index=1

Lets us know how you got on, better take a load of cartridges !!

I will do, if you take the wife out in the car on Mothers day (Sunday) just sit and watch your wood from the outside it will tell you all you need to know.

We are planning a roost on the same day, looking forward to it.

As you will see decoys would make no difference on these wood of ours above.

Big groups showing, however no wind, very high birds but a good day all the same, me & Fenny where expecting you down there, had Vlad & three guests set up in different woods around the estate, anyway I thought you said you had sent that camera to Cash Converters so you could have a day on the drink down the Braza...

light north wind misty, very few birds came in, we shot 2........loft poles a waste of time they dont get the decoys high enough and very difficult to get them looking natural in the tree, gaffer taped a cut off water bottle to the top of the pole made it much easier to get the decoys down this morning (Gave up and went to the pub last night). West wind forcast next weekend hope it will be better!

I will be leaving the decoys at home and travelling light, moving around the edge of the woods and getting under the flight lines.