What scope with add on?

bunny_blaster

First off thanks for all the help and offers on what NV add on to buy. I've decided to go with the Archer due to that fact it can be repaired if it ever went wrong. £2000+ is a lot of money to throw away if the PVS goes tits up. I am picking up an Archer on Thursday night so I need a scope to put it on. I will eventually get myself a side parallax Leupold but I'm after something to get me going for the time being, something like an AGS or MTC due to the side parallax. So what scope would you recommend and what mag?

Cheers

Ben

Ive just bought a Nikko Sterling Nighteater which supposed to be good for use with the Archer on my HMR.

I use a non parallax S&B 3-12x50 Klassik scope on my .22-250 and works fine with the Archer.

You wont go wrong with the Archer.They are a suoerb bit of kit and i keep saying i wouldnt be without mine now.

ATVB.

Swarovski z6i or a Schmidt and bender

you've not got an add on archer have you :lol:

ok I have a z6i and had to take a grinder to the scope attachment to make it fit and use a NM800ir to get it to work properly, simply the decent european scopes are about the least recomended with archers due to the scope coatings. But I wanted the scope for foxing and stalking so put up with it being not quite as good. If you have the money the leupold vx3 is what you want and they aren't too bad second hand, otherwise the MTC's do get decent reports

Watching this post :D

and also sifting through the normal bs, i am also thinking leupold vx3 as recomended by people who actually have an archer :good:

At the moment i have a Z4i and Z6i on both rifles that are donors for an archer but i think i can see a scope change coming pretty soon for the rifle for lamp shy Fox's and am leaning towards the leupold.

I am very happy with my set up and having never looked through an archer but seen good reviews be interested how you get on, a lot depends on the IR unit its worth getting the best lazer IR you can afford or its like walking into a blacked out room full of half naked girls and boys with a large shiny tool and not being able to see where to point it!

Watching this post :D

and also sifting through the normal bs, i am also thinking leupold vx3 as recomended by people who actually have an archer :good:

At the moment i have a Z4i and Z6i on both rifles that are donors for an archer but i think i can see a scope change coming pretty soon for the rifle for lamp shy Fox's and am leaning towards the leupold.

You can make both those scopes work but they benefit hugely from sticking a nightmaster on top in my experience. The benefits of the archer and being able to put it on at dusk once you've been out a while mean do you want to put up with a leupold once you've had a Z6i it is a serious amount of butchering of the scope adaptor to make it fit though

I've a slot for another .223 and can't quite make up my mind whether to get one for mostly nv use and stick a leupold or mtc on it the problem is sitting out the z6 is brilliant up to dusk.

Like most NV companies you get a warranty when buying new but if the tube goes down will they repair it ? i would like to know, as how can you prove you didn't turn it on in the day time or you dropped it and so on, if the electrics goes down or buttons don't work then yes not a problem .

As to scopes for add ons you are better off with one that has side parallax adjustment , front parallax adjustment works as well but a bit more fiddly, the lower the number like 3-16x56 has a better FOV than a 8-16x56 other scopes like a simmons 1.5-5x20 will work to a degree but when you have no parallax adjustment your distance can be limited.

Some top end scopes are not as good with add ons as the middle and low end scopes, due to lens coatings.

scopes with illuminated reticle like the Z6i are not that good with add ons in my opinion (and that is just my opinion) but others with the same illuminated reticle and eye bells of different shapes can still be used with add ons by usings an up side down scope mount and some dove tail or weaver rail to connect the scope to add on, done this many times with good results.

even if they won't repair them they will sell you a new tube cheaply and that is from experience with an archer well out of warranty bought second hand as well. A laser issue i had was sorted out FOC at the same time despite me having no idea how old the unit is, the PVS being a bit of a dodgy US export you can't expect to send it back to the manufacturer

starlight price list for 2012

3RD FILMLESS (A++ GRADE) £4861.10 +vat which is £6999.99

GEN 2+ COMMERCIAL £1736.10 +vat £2499.99

I would buy other pvs 14 and still have change for an Envis as well with these prices, at the end of the day you like what you have bought and i love what i have bought,