ACME sheep whistle

Shoot-rhino

Just about to buy a new dog to work my sheep but this bitch is whistled trained, my previous dogs have been to voice!

The guy that broke her in gave me a whistle this morning and told me to go away and practise with it!

I've watched you tube videos and read lots of forums but still I'm gettin nothing, not even a squeak

Can anybody help! What am I doing wrong?

I've used one for years. Rest the whistle firmly between your lips so the the open curved rim is full exposed but your lips are sealed to the rest of the whistle.

Basically the only way for air to escape your mouth is through the hole on the bottom of the whistle and out of the curved gap / slot!

With the hole in the whistle on the bottom side "cup" your tongue around the hole (imagine how you cup your hands to drink water).

BLOW!!

You don't have to blow hard and change the pitch of the whistle by shaping your tongue differently.

Just practice and you will get there!

Ps: not a daft idea to put some para cord around the whistle loop and your neck, you'd be amazed how often you can blow it out of your mouth and into the clarts!

Also when you deal the rest, ?? What should lips tongue touching

At th moment I have it bitten with my teeth, on the top my teeth are in the hole and on the bott my teeth are well in front of the hole, then bring my lips down which stay on the shoertedt bit of plastic, tongue on back of whistle

dont touch with your teeth just have the curve flush with the lips (dont over hang your lips over the gap) and cup you tounge about the size of a soup spoon over the BOTTOM hole and blow. wiggle your toung and change shape untill you get a note and go from their

the plastic ones are easier than the metal ones.

can you whistle with your fingers? if you can then your half way there and should be able to get a sort of note. you then play with the throat and tongue to deepen and heighten the pitch.

A friend and I use to wind people up in the warehouse we use to work in, all you could here all day was the two of use whistling back and forth, we then sussed it so it sounded like the clangers. oh did we get some beatings back then.

I can't whistle with my fingers

So is my tongue inside the bottom hole

Pop the whistle in your mouth and hold between your lips, your tongue will be under the whistle.

Imagine pushing the edges of your tongue around the hole in the whistle (like cupping your tongue below the hole to create a shape)