freelander td4 gear problem

cuzzy

hi all i have a td4 had it for 5 years now had the usual problem but today i went to pull of the drive and it made a bad crunching noise so bad i can't drive it AA man came and was a bit miffed he dose not think its the prop shaft as its made no noise before today he thinks it could be the diff / transfer box/ or the gearbox it will drive a foot and just locks up anyone got any thoughts before i take it to frog island local 4x4 garage

Edited by cuzzy

cheers if i have to go 2x2 how much do you think it worth its a 5 door td4 in black with 100000miles 6 months mot 1 tax nice condition with spare set of mud tyres

Not a lot to be honest. They arent the most efficient car or the biggest so taking away the 4x4 bits its not much use to anyone. Personally I would look at we buy any car and hope the person who looks it over doesnt look for a rear propshaft.

Good luck mate hope its not too bad. I have an old 'freebie' and have just changed the v.c.u to hopefully stop something like this happening me as my 4x4 garage advised that the old one was very 'tight'. I got a reconditioned one off the 'bay' for £270 but got £50 back when i sent my old one back. Small price to pay as a recon i.r.d is much more.

Edited by luckytrigger

yes it is the v.c.u had locked up and the ird has gone never heard any noise think its coz i have big mud tyres on it looking into recon ird and v.c.u from breakers garage is going to fit for £280 i know its a lot of money but don't want all the hassle of trying to find a new car as its served me well and 100000mile on td4 is not a lot

yes it is the v.c.u had locked up and the ird has gone never heard any noise think its coz i have big mud tyres on it looking into recon ird and v.c.u from breakers garage is going to fit for £280 i know its a lot of money but don't want all the hassle of trying to find a new car as its served me well and 100000mile on td4 is not a lot

Thats not too bad mate. Got a set of muds on mine and its been a cracking motor. Good luck with yours :good: