30-06

Sauer020

Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone had opinions on the 30-06 caliber - I am not new to cf or shooting but have never had a 30-06 but fancy one, I currently have a 243 but would like something with a little more punch and heavier bullet options for the occasional red and possibly other large game (boar etc.)

So what are your thoughts and pro's/cons?

Thank you

Sauer.

It took me a while to learn but there is totally no need to get anything bigger than .243 win in the UK for Deer. Good placement and correct bullet choice sorts the job, bigger heavier bullets are harder to put in the right spot with a lightweight sporting rifle from "field stances" and this out weighs the advantages IMO. Boar are an exception but few have access to UK boar anyway and something like a 375 H&H is an even better choice for anything that might "have a go" if not killed quickly- again only relevant with a badly placed shot!. The rules in France are an issue though I believe they are changing? 30-06 is better with bullets over around 165 grn than a .308 win speed wise at least IF IT HAS THE BARREL LENGTH, with the usual 150 grn .30 cal stuff it is only equal and you have to put up with a longer action to accommodate the 06 round. If I thought I needed to step up for deer again I should personally go for a 6.5 mm bullet around 125grn due to the ease of obtaining the best accuracy in a lightweight gun as already mentioned- but I don't ! There was a nice looking Parker Hale Safari .375 on gunwatch the other day BTW :good:

Thanks - I think the safari was a 30-06 wasn't it?

I like the variety in the 30-06 round range and they are a very established caliber globally and seem to be available in most countries (ammunition wise)

I think I also read that a 30-06 is putting out the same energy at 100 yards as a 308 is at the muzzle on certain loads.

I agree that the 243 is perfectly adequate for all UK deer species (the thousands of reds that have been shot over the years up the hills with 243 are testament to this) and truth be told if it were legal the 243 would not have a problem with boar at all either!

Sure I read somewhere that they are one of the calibers with the most hunting kills globally to its name in history along with 303 I think it was...

There is also the fact I've always fancied one!

Thanks again for the input.

Sauer

I have a 30-06, it was my first CF. I got it thinking it would cover me for whatever I wanted to shoot in Britain and a lot more besides. The only deer I have shot so far is roe and with a 180gr soft point it obviously downs them but it does so with very little meat damage, as I read somewhere, you can eat right up to the hole. With no deer here in Shetland my knowledge of deer and deer shooting is very limited but knowing what I know now and after purchasing a 6.5x55 not long ago I wish I hadn't gone so big for my first CF. I hate to admit it but I think the only thing I gained from getting a big shooter was recoil shyness, it took a while to realise it and it took a while to overcome it but I still jump a bit the when having the first shot of a rifle I haven't shot before. As Kent says a .243 with the right bullet choice will do for any deer in Britain. If I could get a decent price for my 30-06 I would sell it now I have the 6.5x55 as I have no real need for it and the swede is an absolute pleasure to shoot compared to the 30-06. I have no doubt that with a mod and a decent recoil pad my 30-06 would be nicer to shoot as there is nothing soft at the butt at all its just wood right out.

well I know if I had a 22 stone red stag standing at 175 yds and a choice of a 243 and a 30-06....I know which one I would pick up

but then I have a 270 ......so probably wouldn't be up there with either of those!

huge range of bullets for the 06

recoil is totally subjective, the recoil indicators and actual physics of it all are barely distinguishable between the same rifle in 6.5x55, 260, 308, 270, 30-06

if you are recoil shy stick a bloody great moderator on it or get a rifle fitted properly

well I know if I had a 22 stone red stag standing at 175 yds and a choice of a 243 and a 30-06....I know which one I would pick up

but then I have a 270 ......so probably wouldn't be up there with either of those!

huge range of bullets for the 06

recoil is totally subjective, the recoil indicators and actual physics of it all are barely distinguishable between the same rifle in 6.5x55, 260, 308, 270, 30-06

if you are recoil shy stick a bloody great moderator on it or get a rifle fitted properly

The correct bullet in 6mm will go clean through a 22 stone stag at 175 yds, others will splash wound, some will drop that stag like a bolt of lightning but ruin a lot of meat. All of them will be easier to place correctly in a lightweight stalking gun that's a darn sight easier to carry than a 30-06 with a great big hunk of iron hanging off the end to help with those physics. its not just recoil shyness its about spotting the shot and handling the recoil forces that have an adverse effect on dwell time (follow through) and hence accuracy fired from field stances. Recoil differences in the above guns is vary evident, unless you fire them all with 125 grn bullets and similar change weights with the same rifle. Nobody but nobody is exempt from the effects of recoil when shooting off hand, kneeling or wall rests. Now look at a heavy .22 airgun pellet that's the 20grns of lead we are talking about- how much more lethal do you think that additional weight is with equal placement.