Dirty Choks on my Beretta's

bakerboy

Header should read Dirty Chokes, apologies, I do not know how to amend the header

I have just started shooting with a Beretta,I also use a couple of others for coaching.

When I clean the guns I have noticed that the chokes are very dirty on the outside (between the choke and the barrel) Ido not get this with any of the other guns I have.

Is this perculiar to Beretta?

The chokes are tight in the barrel, so I know it is not that.

Could it be the oil/lubricant I am using, maybe too much for the Beretta,( again it does not happen on other guns I hold)

12g Beretta SV10 Perenia

Silver Pigeon 28g

Silver Pigeon 20g

Thanks

Terry

Ps

I have a little note on who will reply first and second. Also who will be most helpful.

£10.00 to the chosen Charity if I get it wrong.

Edited by bakerboy

i've a couple of beretta's and they do it as well. it seems to be the longer optima type ones which do it worst though.

in fairness though most of mine are semi auto's with the extended chokes and as these only get hand tightened they do work slightly loose as you shoot the stand.

know what you mean though, got so used to the beretta dirty chokes that when i'm using one that doesnt do it it seems weird at cleaning time when you take them out and theyre clean.

i have found a slight smear of white grease on the choke thread and a film of oil on the choke tube works best for me.

with a film on the outside of the choke the gunk literally wipes off when cleaning.

hi terry have you tried using tetra gun grease instead of oil?

Hi Burt

I have used greased and have used oil, both do the same.

It is not a problem, the chokes clean up very easy, it is just that I have never had the problem before.

Cheers

Terry

I noticed that in my browning today too I think I put to much oil on the choke thread

You just cost me £10.00. :lol: :lol: :good:

Terry on Berettas it's down to the thread being at the muzzle end of the barrel allowing more gas to get to the outside of the choke, unlike Brownings where it's at the bottom of the choke making a more of a seal keeping the choke cleaner.

I just smear the outer choke with grease also the inside of barrel and threads it cleans off easy.

If you find any that has stuck WD 40 and a bit of scotchbrite cleans them a treat in no time.

Hope this helps:

Figgy

Terry on Berettas it's down to the thread being at the muzzle end of the barrel allowing more gas to get to the outside of the choke, unlike Brownings where it's at the bottom of the choke making a more of a seal keeping the choke cleaner.

I just smear the outer choke with grease also the inside of barrel and threads it cleans off easy.

If you find any that has stuck WD 40 and a bit of scotchbrite cleans them a treat in no time.

Hope this helps:

Figgy

Hi Figgy

That makes sense :good: .

I soak my chokes in parafin every now and then as I find this cleans everything out of the threads, and use a tooth brush to thoroughly clean the threads in the barrel.

Thanks

Terry

Terry, it used to happen on mine if I used too much oil on the chokes. Now I wipe the outside with a very lightly oiled cloth so they are almost dry and put a smear of copper grease on the threads. This seems to keep them a lot cleaner and they never seize or feel tight. If I haven't had cause to change them, I only take them out for a once over about every fifth or sixth time I clean the rest of the gun.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Terry, it used to happen on mine if I used too much oil on the chokes. Now I wipe the outside with a very lightly oiled cloth so they are almost dry and put a smear of copper grease on the threads. This seems to keep them a lot cleaner and they never seize or feel tight. If I haven't had cause to change them, I only take them out for a once over about every fifth or sixth time I clean the rest of the gun.

+1 copper slip