homemade nightvision evo,s

evo

nothing bad meant mate at all, just didn,t want to deflect from our homebuilds mate was not aimed at anyone in particular but it would make an interesting thread I have to say

cheers mate Bob

by the way there are a few people who would not believe the distances you can get with your setup, I was out last week with one of the lads on here and could clearly see rabbits eyeshine the other end of the fairway and it was a par four so just goes to show with the right gear and a decent camera you DONT need to pay silly money to enjoy the sport of shooting in the dark

cheers davyo,,,,Evo

Thanks Bob, regarding distance I lent my system to mate who was cosidering buying a second hand pulsar550 which he has field tested.However after returning my kit he has ordered all he parts, he quoted that he couldclearly make out the brick work on the farmhouse chimney at 700mtrs and even counted the n0 of bricks.The build will cost him that little extra as he wants the NM800, so his cost should be about£250.

My main objective when building was not only to light up the quarry but to be able to light up the backstop. With theEJ230 you have the facility built in to reduce glare or whiteout so your quarry dosnt whiteout if you want to view passed it.It was something I needed to prioritise after watching too many youtube clips of people just shooting at eyes.My only tip for the LR lads or higher calbs is not to skimp on your IR & CAM.

Dave

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry Evo - din't intend to derail your thread.

I was just clarifying and backing up where the first DIY scopeless rig with a crosshair generator was built - carry on that man.

no problems at all dave, you were also the one who planted the seed in my head as well as rolaids, thanks again mate

evo

Thanks Bob, regarding distance I lent my system to mate who was cosidering buying a second hand pulsar550 which he has field tested.However after returning my kit he has ordered all he parts, he quoted that he couldclearly make out the brick work on the farmhouse chimney at 700mtrs and even counted the n0 of bricks.The build will cost him that little extra as he wants the NM800, so his cost should be about£250.

My main objective when building was not only to light up the quarry but to be able to light up the backstop. With theEJ230 you have the facility built in to reduce glare or whiteout so your quarry dosnt whiteout if you want to view passed it.It was something I needed to prioritise after watching too many youtube clips of people just shooting at eyes.My only tip for the LR lads or higher calbs is not to skimp on your IR & CAM.

Dave

your certainly right there mate, scrimping on the camera or the IR will affect performance, I have spent a fortune trying different cameras and as Rolaids saw when he did his tests the Ej230 performed better than the watec 902h, I have both of them in kits I have made up,

The problem you can have is you can have good IR but if the camera cant see it then its useless and vice versa, getting the balance right is the main thing, the reason I also use the s190 is its at an affordable price to put in a build for the average joe blogs and also the performance from it is nothing short of superb the distances I have achieved with it and a decent IR is unreal and I,m the same as you , I like to see what is behind what I am shooting and these kits certainly do that as you have seen and as you say for around half the price of the commercial ones

cheers Bob

Right guys I am trying to get the correct camera sorted.

I rang sure24 and they have given me loads of info, but I wanted to run it by u guys first to see what u think.

I asked for the s190 which is what was suggested on this thread. They told me about 2 other bullet camera that people are using for same purpose as what we doing. They are

Kpc ex190 which is a low light level one

Ej 230 which is a popular one as well they sell

So what one is the best one for the job. Pros and cons of them.

Kpc ex 190

Kpc s 190

Kpc ej 230

Help me out guys

Rimmy fitted with HAWKE NITE EYE 3 9X50IR

Air rifle fitted with HAWKE AIRMAX 3 9X40 AO IR

the EJ230 works brilliant on both, I ordered a 12mm lens but although ok I wanted to fill out most of the LCD so fitted a 16mm .

I have had 3 trip's out with the rimmy

1st 36 rabbits

2nd 38 rabbits

3rd 28 rabbits (rain stopped play was planning on getting 50)

If you have more than 1 gun, its worth buying the hoses that kiffy told everyone

about as they have diff step-downs & you might not have to cut it as i didn't need to.

You need m32x1.5 gland cost £5 for 2, the step down hose at the thin end you need to order 32mm. Put a bit of glue on the tread of the gable gland and it will be solid.If you go on ebay on ap motor store you can go through the list to find the right mm for your scope.I ordered 2 for my 2 scopes so its just matter of loosening the gland nut and inserting the camera in the chosen tubing.I have 2x marks on the camera so i just shove the camera in to that particular mark depending on what gun i choose.The hoses cost about £7.00 each but are a really good fit.

Edited by Davyo

davyo, your doing brill with your homebuild and the rimfire,

went out tonight the weather was blowing a gale and showers then once the rain stopped I had 8 rabbits for 11 shots with the airwolf, could of had more if the bloody moon didn,t come out and light the field up,once the moon came out it was like switching a floodlight on it was as if I had a high viz suit on lol, but while it was cloudy and dark had a great time,

keep up the good work on the rabbits mate

atb Evo

Oh right. What scope you got? Sounds cool. I got a 3 x 12 hawk scope. What size u think I will need? 12 or 16?

gary ,, if you like the idea of having a round circle on your screen with the crosshairs going in the middle then go for a 12mm lens mate but if you want to fill your screen then go for a 16mm lens , also when ordering your lens try and get an f2 one as this will keep your crosshairs in focus also when adjusting your scope,

hope this helps EVO

ps use the bigger front end scope ie 3x9x56 or a x50 as this improves the amount of light getting to the camera bud

Thanks evo my target for this year was 700 I run from 1st Oct to end Sept, only need another 21.The way things are going will poss end up nearer 800.Farmer is over the moon.The main advantage is stalking with no lamps.I know where they are so I just light up the NV with the NM800 on full and have a quick scan.So say I have rabbits 100mtrs out.I simple pase out 40/50steps then Use the NM800 on medium setting and clear the group.I use a head torch for picking buts its a pain when you drop say 6 or 10 trying to remember where they are is diff esp in 4-6 inches of grass.Been looking into buying a second hand hand held thermal imager for picking.We a looking at making a hand held IR for my spotter as he ends up looking over my shoulder as i shoot.With the hand held he will be spotting & then will be able to watch the shot without having to look over my shoulder at the LCD.Gona try and make it like a hand held a laser gun using another NM800 & EJ230.

Edited by Davyo

Thanks evo my target for this year was 700 I run from 1st Oct to end Sept, only need another 21.The way things are going will poss end up nearer 800.Farmer is over the moon.The main advantage is stalking with no lamps.I know where they are so I just light up the NV with the NM800 on full and have a quick scan.So say I have rabbits 100mtrs out.I simple pase out 40/50steps then Use the NM800 on medium setting and clear the group.I use a head torch for picking buts its a pain when you drop say 6 or 10 trying to remember where they are is diff esp in 4-6 inches of grass.Been looking into buying a second hand hand held thermal imager for picking.We a looking at making a hand held IR for my spotter as he ends up looking over my shoulder as i shoot.With the hand held he will be spotting & then will be able to watch the shot without having to look over my shoulder at the LCD.Gona try and make it like a hand held a laser gun using another NM800 & EJ230.

I,m in the middle of experimenting with a large torch at the moment, it is one of those large 1,000,000 candle power torches that I am adapting, all the workings will be inside the torch including the battery,will let you know how I get on,

glad you are happy with your build, it makes a massive difference with the night vision and at such a low cost also ha ha,

if I switch a lamp on anywhere near the rabbits on my perm they disappear for days,

I have ordered all my bits now. But after speaking to sure 24 they said I will need to take the ir filter off the ej230 camera. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how todo this? Cheers

Easy buy a set of watch repair screwdrivers £2-£3.unsrew the lens cap then look for a tiny screw on the side camera that secures the lens.Unscrew this be careful not to unsrew too far as you may loose the screw.Next remove the lens, look inside and you will see the IR filter(square)Take the smallest srewdriver and just scripe around the edges.Gently move around gently prizing it up, it should lift faily easily as just held with gummy glue.Once you have one edge lifted use a pair of eyebrow tweezers to lift the IR filter clear.JUST BE CAREFULL NOT TO SCRATCH THE GLASS BELOW THE FILTER.Its easy mate just take you time and make sure you use the right gear for the job mine took 2mins.

Edited by Davyo

hi all here is a photo of my daystate Airwolf with the Evo20 on it, as you can see there are no cables anywhere hanging down that I would normally trip over,

if you require any information regarding the EVO20 you can contact me via email or pm me on here cheers guy,s and gals

AirwolfandEvo20001_zps8d981e97.jpg

Edited by evo

Hi evo the new pack with the battery as part of the unit looks brill it's got rid of the cables that usualy snag and made this a very neat and compact unit. The airwolf looks good as well.

Cheers see you soon

yes mate its much easier, you,ll have to pop yours round and I,ll adjust it for ya F.O.C. of coarse,i,m in all night tonight bud,

just building two kits for the lads ,

red torches will be ready also mate once pills arrive,

cheers Evo

Hi mate on a works do tonight { freebie of course } ill catch up with you soon keep up the good work

no problem Rog, call round for a brew one night next week ,except mon,tue,wed I,m out on the rabbits,bring the rifle and kit and I,ll sort ya out bud,

cheers Bob

ps,,,, ya know where I am if ya fancy giving me a hand lol