What's involved, air rifle fac?

Axeman1984

So here it is I scrubbed the 243 off the application, in reality I'm never going to want anything no where near that big, I've put in for FAC air rifle, .22LR and .17HMR, references all sorted, photos done and signed, everything's ready to put in the post first thing, wish me luck!

Sounds the perfect choice for me. Also, I wouldnt bother getting your existing air rifle turned up to more than 12ft lb. If you look at the for sale prices, FAC air rifles are cheaper and will usually give out more power than just a tuned up non FAC one.

But, for me, id go straight to a .22lr. If you look at the prices of a .22 rifle, compared to a decent air rifle you`ll be amazed.

17hmr vs .22lr is a long debate. In summary, 17hmr is noiser but flatter tradjectory, the .22lr is quieter and cheaper to run on ammo.

All that was needed when I mentored a chap last year was a couple of hours with him in a field just to familiarise him with the capabilities of a firearm i.e. being aware of how far these things can carry (and in the case of the 22lr-how they are prone to ricochet),a walk around a couple of fields and a short letter to the FEO is all thats needed-not your version of War and Peace!! Its worth the extra effort so dont quit at the first stumbling block-a little work will open up a whole world of possibilities.Ask on this forum if there is anyone local willing to spend a couple of hours on your land teaching you the basics-its no biggy.

Oh right gotcha I thought a mentoring condition meant every time you went out they had to come with you for a period of time, now you've explained it that's fine I'm all up for that, I've got several people I could ask to do that no worrys, my application is in the post now so it will all take its course.. Cheers for all the info by the way chaps

Yes mate rifle and moderator, I'm in suffolk right on the Norfolk border out in the fens, I come under suffolk constabulary in Ipswich, my FAO is a guy called john clough seems like a down to earth nice chap, when I called him to tell him I was going to apply for an FAC air rifle permit he was the one who told me to bung the rifles on there as well..

Well had a little phone call from suffolk police today turns out even after I specifically asked them one of my two referees is unsuitable! She wouldn't tell my why which points to something naughty or who, so I'm guessing either ref A) or ref B) has something on record they had forgotten about, bit of a ****** coz its set me back now as I've got to sort out another reference and send it all off again.... Frustrating.com

Well had a little phone call from suffolk police today turns out even after I specifically asked them one of my two referees is unsuitable! She wouldn't tell my why which points to something naughty or who, so I'm guessing either ref A) or ref B ) has something on record they had forgotten about, bit of a ****** coz its set me back now as I've got to sort out another reference and send it all off again.... Frustrating.com

Thats a PITA daft thing is if they wont tell you which one you either have to find 2 more or guess......... They could at least say which one, if not why......

It's got me stumped tho one chap owns a children's nursery in my village and the other chap has a shotgun certificate himself and has an advanced CRB check so he can work with kids, which I know for a fact because my wife signed as his referee, so what the problem is and who the problem is with your guess is as good as mine!!

Oh dear, not a good start!

Funny old world though, many years back one of my referees, on my first FAC was a Company Secretary, earned a Fortune, had (has) a massive house, a Ferrari and a SGC holder. Seemed perfect.

It wasn't until my home visit it came out he had been convicted TWICE, on separate occasions, for DD and served bans for both. I thought I was sunk!

These days I can be fairly confident he wouldn't have kept his SGC, but he did, and still does, and I got my FAC as well!

Times have changed!

Well find a "C"referee, submit A and C if rejected again you'll know if it was A or B............

They have accepted one of my refs, and are sending me a fresh set of forms for one more, so ill never know who it was unless the FAO let's it slip in my interview, and dekers let's hope mine pans out that way!