Diesel into a petrol tank...

-Mongrel-

Diesel in a petrol wont run !

It will run on the petrol in the filter and lines and then stop and to be honest a good drain ,change all filters and it should be ok after it runs a bit rough at first it should clear up and be ok.

Depends on how much has been put in and what was left in the tank. A few years back I was rebuilding a motorbike, so drained the petrol out into a can, then poured the petrol back in when id finished. First test drive down the road and the bike started running like a sack of ****. Cutting out, smoke coming out of the exhaust, misfiring.

Got home and my dad then informs me that he`d assumed it was waste fuel in the can so had poured some diesel in it. Doh.

I drained the fuel out of the bike, replaced with petrol and it still wasnt happy. Replaced the spark plugs and hey presto everything was back to normal. No problems since.

If diesel was run without much petrol to thin it. Could be looking at. Fuel lines fuel filter and defo injectors needing cleaning professionally and possibly lambda sensor and catalytic converter. That's worst case. Thick diesel can wreck a delicate petrol system. All depends on dilution of diesel.

Edited by andypaint