FUD decoys

I had an afternoon decoying on Saturday. First time on my own and in 22-years, a former gamekeeper friend joining me (with no decoying experience). As the farmer has a corvid problem, I purchased 6 x Crow FUD's and a token two woody shells. Unfortunately, the hide stood out like bulldogs preverbials against the barren hedge (lesson for next time), so not a single corvid came within 400 yds. However, we had 50+ woodies into the pattern accounting for 14 (two for him, twelve for me). I shall consequently be adding a box of six Pigeon FUD's before the next outing (since the missus has categorically banned any complete animals from the freezer :whistling: ).

I got the FUDs in the post today, they look pretty good (not that I could really tell good from bad). I'm pretty impressed with how compact they are, they don't really give the missus much room to complain! I think I'll take them with me when I have a wander around the new permission on Sunday, can't wait!

Good luck Baz, I hope they do you well :good: The two pigeon "shells" I used were not actually "shells" but these http://www.prodecoy.co.uk/. The gunshop said they were good and with just two out there alongside the six corvid FUD's I'd have to agree. However, having just purchased another 10 for just shy of £70 posted, are they really that much better than FUD's for £46 (for 10) posted, off the bay? Will be very interested to hear how you get on :good:

Well they definitely work! I set up the six and pigeons were coming in but seeing as I didn't have a hide I was spooking them! I think I'll get another six and a hide this week. The permission is brilliant, never thought I'd get anything like it! Hopefully get some decent days down there this year. Got a couple of woodies just walking about, I'd forgotten that they take quite a while to pluck and clean! If I get any more I think I'll just be taking the breasts!

Well done Baz great result and I will only ever take the breasts, too time consuming otherwise - the farmer, his mum and an elderly friend of theirs are partial to pigeon and I've set rather a precedent in presenting them with plates of fresh pigeon breast the day after the shoot.

• 2 weeks later...