Would you...

Vulcha

Take on a phesant with an airgun? I'm thinking about it, seeing as I now have a game liecence and am going shooting next weekend, but they'e pretty damn massive. Though I figured if a pellet can penetrate a rabbits skull, and at 35 yards all my shots go in one hole, it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're not actually allowed to shoot phesants with an airgun. Info/ thoughts please.

I have seen lots of phesants shot with a standard AAS410 it is well up to the job. :o

It's not on the airgun quarry list of things you can shoot at the top of the airgunners page :no: , But I dont think it is illegal shoot phesants with a airgun (head shots only) :P . as you said you have got a game licence whitch allows you to carry them(not shoot them)I think :lol: .

Make sure the land owner / game keeper does not mind you shooting his phesants. if you have been given permission to shoot pests only. might be worth asking first. :lol:

Im sure some of the PW members can clarify this.

kipper :lol:

I don't think it's illegal, it's just considered less sporting, as pheasants are often less shy/easier to spot than true wild quarry. And the keeper would certainly not be amused !

The only time I'd shoot one with an airgun would be for the pot, on my own land (if I had any, that is) as long as it would not annoy any neighbours.

It's not on the airgun quarry list of things you can shoot at the top of the airgunners page :good: , But I dont think it is illegal shoot phesants with a airgun (head shots only) :good: . as you said you have got a game licence whitch allows you to carry them(not shoot them)I think :good: .

kipper :good:

A game license does entitle you to shoot game as long as you have permission to shoot them from the land owner

Yea, on my game liecence it says "liecence to kill game £4". I just thought you may only be allowed to shoot them with shotguns or something. We're going to ask Mr. Landownerman, but do we have to tell the gamekeeper aswell? I mean, he breeds them to be shot right? Also, who would have the final say? The guy who owns the land or the guy who breeds the phesants? If they end up on farmer dudes land, surely he can decide if we can shoot them or not right?

The phesant belongs to who ever's land its on. (I think):good:

so if you are shooting land that has phesants on from surrounding game crops that dont belong to the farm that you are shooting for. AND THE FARNER SAYS ITS OK FOR YOU TO SHOOT THEM YOU ARE OK.

However if you are shooting a farm with game crops on and the game keeper see's you shoot a phesant he probably won't be a happy chap. :good:

He will probably have wealthy gents paying good money to shoot his phesants. :good:

try to keep everybody happy. NOT ALLWAYS POSSIBLE. i DID SAY "TRY" :good:

kIPPER :no:

I don't think it's illegal, it's just considered less sporting, as pheasants are often less shy/easier to spot than true wild quarry.

I would argue the sporting point. How many times have you layed in wait for a rabbit to come out of it's hole and taken the shot? It's not been stalked it is just an oppurtunist shot. Not really a battle of wits at all. How about the 125yd .17hmr shot? That's not at all sporting. No stalking skill required. Infact if you are on 'pods then to be honest there is not that much skill involved at all!

What is so sporting about a bunch of beaters frightening the pheasnts onto a row of guns laying in wait?

I don't have a problem with it at all to be honest as the benefits of a kept shoot are fantastic and well documented. Infact I would have a go myself if the chance arose. It is how people percieve their sport and what is sporting. If you want a sporting shot then stalk the pheasant. Believe me this is very hard to do. They give the impression of being big dumb eedjits but will take off at the slightest disturbance. Ofcourse some are more docile but that could be said of any quarry.

As long as the shot is clean, the the bird is going down. Although a wounded bird is going to cause a right old stink. It won't go to ground like a wounded rabbit so everyone in the vicinity is going to know you ****** up. What you have to decide is do you want to do it.

Me? I wouldn't as I might lose the shoot. But have I? Yes, and it was more trouble than it was worth.