My First Reloads

For all those concerned about whether they should start reloading, my advice for what it's worth is, give it a go.

I've been looking at doing this for a while, even going out to purchase a lee press a month or so ago, only to find out they were out of stock :(.

Anyway to cut a long story short, a friend picked up a lot of reloading equipment, as his friend had given up. I ended up with a Redding press, Lee & RCBS dies, RCBS powder thrower, RCBS 10/10 scales. I have purchased a powder trickler, and need a case trimmer and tumbler.

Last week I full length resized some 308 brass, included in the deal, and neck resized my 223 once fired brass. After selecting those that didn't need trimming, inspecting and cleaning I reloaded about 40. Took these to the range and was very pleased with the results. I was a little more cautious than normal deciding to wear my safety glasses but as expected everything was OK :) ,

One thing I would like to point out for anyone starting is that I didn't get on with the RCBS lub pad. Even with only a very thin coating, I found hydraulic damage on some case necks. Obviously too much lub applied. I now use a spray lube, no dents and far quicker.

I will upload some photos of my set up when I get a chance, over the weekend. So if you have been tempted by reloading, don't worry you shouldnt dissapear in a cloud of smoke, as long as you follow the loading advice in the manuals and follow basic safety instructions, you will be ok. As a bonus you will have opened up yet another hobby, get better more accurate, and in the long run save yourself some money, as long as you dont spend huge amounts on new RCBS equipment :).

The most important thing is enjoy.

Edited by Rogc

nice its an addictive hobby, only slight thing its hard to tell from the picture but have the .223 reloads got copper from the jacket shaved up by the case?

I dont believe there are any copper shavings, may just be a slight burr on the case neck.

nice its an addictive hobby, only slight thing its hard to tell from the picture but have the .223 reloads got copper from the jacket shaved up by the case?

Its definetly crimping band on the bullets, I have some hornady 100grns the same.

I had ago at reloading with a CF shooter once and the bug really bit me but sadly I have no CF or ground anymore that i could use CF over ! :(

But i could happily sit reloading ammo for other shooters given half a chance, i see it a pleasure not a chore and great therapy to wind down after a tough week in the office, the seeing the whole process through from start to finish with precission and a sense of acheivement at the end must be great !

ATB

Matt

there is nothing better than loading your ammo weather its for shotgun or rifle and getting a round that you have loaded and taking the shot weather its a pigeon pheasant deer or fox and placing the shot on the money :yahoo::yahoo:

And them rounds look fine to me Redgum is on the money with crimping band arond the bullet that can be seen just above the case mouth :good: