Worth the 4.30am Alarm

Raptor1971

Having decided to have a early morning session today decoying the crows ( My first ever attempt ) I cant wait to get out tomorrow morning now ! Got to the wooded area and set out 4 decoy and for good measure a corvid I'd shot yesterday. Nothing was moving around and it was bliss listening to the early morning calling of the birds and pheasants whilst I sat tight in the hide just on the edge of the wood.

Just my luck when I lit a cig 2 corvids decided to swoop in from the right low level and went before I could release the safety, then to my surprise they turned and came in again :yes: 2 pulls of the trigger and 2 fresh birds were out cold and placed out into the pattern. Another PW member joined me and no sooner had he got the gun loaded ...bang another one down, then the pigeons came into the pattern but soon sussed it and I managed just one dropped at 50yrds in flight.

We had 9 corvids in total in 2 1/2 hrs and the solitary pigeon, but I'm not too disappointed with it being my first attempt at decoying the crows.

On a lighter note I had 2 pinched by a sneaky fox from the edge of the wood whilst I sat in the hide :sly: and couldn't get a shot off as I spotted too late and too much distance between me and mr Fox, but I will be setting a trap out for him soon :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well done mate 45 minutes to late for the crows round here at the minute lol.

Was out at 4 on Wednesday and missed the ******** by 15 minutes or so, first light really is golden as far as I'm concerned. Still managed a dozen mind.

Karpman

I normally shoot rabbits, .22lr and hmr, I do not have a shotgun. Corvids are damn clever and I am not very stealthy but have started shooting a few on the ground as the numbers are getting out of control, worse than pigeons.

The chances are that I will only shoot a couple of corvids (generally on the golf course) and normally throw them into an adjoining field with taller crops so they are out of sight of the golfers and the foxes or whatever can have them. I do the same with badly shot rabbits, it is a culling pest control operation.

What do you do with your corvids after a shoot?

Is disposing of them a problem? throw them into a hedge? a pit? black bin bags?

Just wondered.....

I normally shoot rabbits, .22lr and hmr, I do not have a shotgun. Corvids are damn clever and I am not very stealthy but have started shooting a few on the ground as the numbers are getting out of control, worse than pigeons.

The chances are that I will only shoot a couple of corvids (generally on the golf course) and normally throw them into an adjoining field with taller crops so they are out of sight of the golfers and the foxes or whatever can have them. I do the same with badly shot rabbits, it is a culling pest control operation.

What do you do with your corvids after a shoot?

Is disposing of them a problem? throw them into a hedge? a pit? black bin bags?

Just wondered.....

The farmer lifts the muck heap and they go in there.

Karpman