Enfield  3 band smooth bore rifle Other

Enfield  3 band smooth bore rifle

£350

Other Rifle Private Seller
Used - Very Good Condition Derby, Derbyshire
muzzle loading
2013-04-16_19 2013-04-16_19 2013-04-16_19

Description

Three band Enfield Rifle dated 1861 as issued to the British Army at that time.

Rifle is percussion cap muzzle loading and in very good condition complete with original ram rod and bayonet.The rifle is smooth bore.

The rifle has not been de-comissioned, but under section 58 of the Firearms Act, it being of an obsolete calibre and the fact that it is classed as an antique a firearms licence is not needed. Best offer around the £350 mark would secure .

Would possibly consider exchange/ part exchange for decent air rifle

This gun is being sold by Pigeon Watch member mercian. Message them here

I meant the description, not the legal category. As it's smoothbored, it's not a rifle - it's a MUSKET

(as an aside, I thought S.58 only covered metallic cartridge firearms) - this is an ANTIQUE anyway, due to age and action type/design

Nice bit of kit though, irrespective of what the seller is calling it....I tried to put someone on to it from another forum, but they've got a lighter wallet than the asking price, sadly

One of these days I'll luck into a 577/450 S.58

Edited by saddler

so would this fire? could i own and fire it under my SGC as its a muzzle loader?

It IS legal to fire an antique, as long as it is on whatever Certificate it falls under (FAC/SGC) - in this case a SGC

BUT

I would ONLY fire it IF the bore is very good condition. The seller may be able to check this with a torch...some dealers I know of have very small LED lights that can be dropped down into a barrel

Bear in mind too, that you'd need an Explosive Licence for the Black Powder for the above.

Plus, it'd take a lot of cleaning afterwards to prevent rust forming.