silly socks

ronttuk

just got back from trying my new silosocks for the 1st time,

the weather was windy started at 10-15mph increasing during the day,

i got them out 10 decoys 9 rods!! :good:

they did look good at 1st but after an hour or so one of the rods which hold the decoy worked its way through the white sheild so i dropped to the ground,then 1 flew of the rod and bounced right across the field with me in hot pursuit quickly followed by a second then a third, :blush:

the rotary pair looked good when the wings were not blown upside down. :lol:

no pigeons came screaming in although it wasnt a particular good day for pigeons, there was quite a few flying around but none seemed interested in the silosocks, :lol:

after one days use ive got one with the white collar shield flapping around,1 with a hole where the rod goes,3 coverd in mud and dirt where they blew accross the field. :)

i dont think these will replace my shell decoys but i will give them another try when the wind is lighter, :lol:

they did look good at 1st but after an hour or so one of the rods which hold the decoy worked its way through the white sheild so i dropped to the ground,then 1 flew of the rod and bounced right across the field with me in hot pursuit quickly followed by a second then a third, :blush:

the rotary pair looked good when the wings were not blown upside down. :sick:

no pigeons came screaming in although it wasnt a particular good day for pigeons, there was quite a few flying around but none seemed interested in the silosocks, :sick:

after one days use ive got one with the white collar shield flapping around,1 with a hole where the rod goes,3 coverd in mud and dirt where they blew accross the field. :)

i dont think these will replace my shell decoys but i will give them another try when the wind is lighter, :sick:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

**** great advert :lol:

See my previous post about them.............

Highlighted the problem wtih the Mounting of them.......................but dont think anyone listened.........

but that was my grumble grumble grumble.....

They need some sort of spiggot or something that you can actualy mount them on, say a little tube insterted into he head section....

But hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Im just a lowly pigeon buyer... :good:

See my previous post about them.............

Highlighted the problem wtih the Mounting of them.......................but dont think anyone listened.........

but that was my grumble grumble grumble.....

They need some sort of spiggot or something that you can actualy mount them on, say a little tube insterted into he head section....

But hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Im just a lowly pigeon buyer... :good:

cant find your post ,, where is it :)

the rotary pair looked good when the wings were not blown upside down. :lol:

no pigeons came screaming in although it wasnt a particular good day for pigeons, there was quite a few flying around but none seemed interested in the silosocks, :lol:

i dont think these will replace my shell decoys but i will give them another try when the wind is lighter, :lol:

Is what you got to do with the spar for the sock's, is put it in at a slight angle through the plastic (only if the plastics corrigations are running vertically, or parallel to the shaft).

As for the Hypa flaps, did you have the spar running through propley, or try changing it for the brown spar. Also adjust your speed on the whirly.

I admit I battled with mine also, but I persisted for an hour, and got em running perfectly. Best bet is just to set em up in the garden before you use em for the first time. Don't give up with em, I sold all my other deeks after I tried the socks. I laughed when I first saw em and even said yeah I agree they are Silly socks.

I put dead birds in cradles out in a differant pattern about 250 yds down from where I had the sock's, and was the last time I called em silly, cause not one pigeon pullled in to the cradles.

If you don't want em I will take em at a second hand price. ........... :lol:

Ron,

Your STILL doing it wrong.

The rod is NOT designed to rest against the white neck bar. I would have thought that would have been startlingly obvious that the sharp metal rod would cut through the white neck bar material in 5 minutes, no?

You need to push the rod through the corrugations in the plastic otherwise the inevitable happens as youve found out, then you end up coming on here and moaning cos they screwed up on you and blaming the decoys for the Pigeons lack of interest for anything but acorns! Just because the birds are tricky at the mo please dont blame the deeks. I KNOW they work and how well they work, Ive seen it for myself for the last 3 months or so, so just hang in there and I'm sure once the birds start feeling a little keener on the Rape you'll be singin a different tune.

Over the weekend I'll write a Sillosocks deployment masterclass, with pics and detailed text as it would appear that something so simple is apparently incredibly complicated, and (as with any new technology) sometimes it can be hard trying to figure out something new. We had to fiddle about with the Hypa's for a fair while before we got them tweaked to perfection but now its just a case of bung them on the machine and away ya go.

Hypa Flap heavy duty wing spars are being sent out soon to people who bought already bought them. Apologies for this but after speaking to Sarah I was told that only the thin carbon spar was available, and since there were a couple of hundred pairs back ordered they had to start sending them out with just the thin spar as a lot of people were getting itchy trigger fingers having to wait for their new deeks. Can't blame them either. So hold tight new spars will reach your shortly.

Over the weekend I'll write a Sillosocks deployment masterclass, with pics and detailed text as it would appear that something so simple is apparently incredibly complicated, and (as with any new technology) sometimes it can be hard trying to figure out something new. We had to fiddle about with the Hypa's for a fair while before we got them tweaked to perfection but now its just a case of bung them on the machine and away ya go.

Can'nt wait for the masterclass Will

:rolleyes:

Ron,

Your STILL doing it wrong.

The rod is NOT designed to rest against the white neck bar. I would have thought that would have been startlingly obvious that the sharp metal rod would cut through the white neck bar material in 5 minutes, no?

You need to push the rod through the corrugations in the plastic otherwise the inevitable happens as youve found out, then you end up coming on here and moaning cos they screwed up on you and blaming the decoys for the Pigeons lack of interest for anything but acorns! Just because the birds are tricky at the mo please dont blame the deeks. I KNOW they work and how well they work, Ive seen it for myself for the last 3 months or so, so just hang in there and I'm sure once the birds start feeling a little keener on the Rape you'll be singin a different tune.

Hypa Flap heavy duty wing spars are being sent out soon to people who bought already bought them. Apologies for this but after speaking to Sarah I was told that only the thin carbon spar was available, and since there were a couple of hundred pairs back ordered they had to start sending them out with just the thin spar as a lot of people were getting itchy trigger fingers having to wait for their new deeks. Can't blame them either. So hold tight new spars will reach your shortly.

will,

i suppose 10 decoys and 9 rods is me being stupid as well !!

i put the decoys out as in the dvd if they should of been put different maybee that should of been made clear, the decoys that blew off the rods were two of one type and one of the other seeing as the corrigate runs in opposite directions i doubt if this would alter weather the rod was pushed though the corrigate as in the upright decoys or slid through the corrigate as in the feeding decoy!!

im not blaming the decoys for the lack of pigeons which were feeding on a newly sowed wheat field not acorns all i said was i dont think they did anybetter than my shelll decoys.

i have put up an honest trial of the silosocks i used i am not moaning if i was to moan i would send them back for a refund and or stop payment.

what i said was i will give the silosocks another go on a less windy day.

Ron,

will,

i suppose 10 decoys and 9 rods is me being stupid as well !!

i put the decoys out as in the dvd if they should of been put different maybee that should of been made clear, the decoys that blew off the rods were two of one type and one of the other seeing as the corrigate runs in opposite directions i doubt if this would alter weather the rod was pushed though the corrigate as in the upright decoys or slid through the corrigate as in the feeding decoy!!

im not blaming the decoys for the lack of pigeons which were feeding on a newly sowed wheat field not acorns all i said was i dont think they did anybetter than my shelll decoys.

i have put up an honest trial of the silosocks i used i am not moaning if i was to moan i would send them back for a refund and or stop payment.

what i said was i will give the silosocks another go on a less windy day.

Thats it..........................Im going to link my comments..............yep,,,the corrugation runs two ways...if you get the heads up it goes one.........heads down it goes the other....and there is nothing to push the rods into other than put it under the white "collar".......

TOLD YOU SO..........

And yes ron.......you are silly...........like I was waiting in for two days........

We used em again on saturday, the birds came into them so much so that if you miss with your first barrells, the birds would simply turn around and reapproach, that happened several times. My mates laughed at how they made the pigeons look stupid. The field was flooded, all that you could see was the top of the standing wheat, my sillo socks I hade to put on extensions cause of the water, we should of been shooting ducks. But they still pulled the birds in.

Does anyone here want lessons how to use em.........I will come out on a weekend and show you.

Mossy...they do look quite good when they are out I will give them that.........

As I have said before, there are some modifications that need to be made to make them more user friendly as I will gaurantee, that after half a dozen outings, if you have to mount them using the neck band to stop them from sliding down the stake then they WILL be ruined...

think some mods are required and it would be NICE to see that the sellers take some notice of what the guys in the field are discovering when the use them...........after all,,,,,,,,,,,field testing is what its about........and take that from a carp fisherman........

Movement of the socks is Very impressive and they do stand out a HELL of a lot more to the human eye than the standard shell or full bodied birds.... as for their effects on the winged variety....I still havent shot a bird as there have been none about.........

Space saving is a big bonus.............

not tried the hypa flaps as in my own oppinion,,,,,,,,,they are over priced.............a pair for 25 quid maybe.......but im not paying 40+ for them........

im going to get the plastic tubes used for making booms in fishing tackle melt one end so its closed insert that as a guide for mounting that should resolve the problem mounting without causing damage

Nice idea...........was thinking about a biro tube insert...something like that myself.............will need to be a wide boom though to allow the gauge of the wire..........

Or the top of a bic biro...........you know the bit that designates the color of the biro......

• 2 months later...

The steel rod is better going straight up the corrugation, it keeps the decoy at right angles to the rod allowing maximum movement. To prevent the rod going through, glue in a half inch peice of matchstick in 2 or 3 0f the holes directly under the ringneck. Simply drop some spots of glue into the holes and push them up with the rod. ( the household long matches in the big box are best as the are thicker in diameter and a good fit in the corrugation.

Also do the same to a couple just behind the yellow beak and the same at the back in the front of the breast.

Mounting some at the back, middle , and front makes them swing differently in a reasonable wind.

Finally mark the side of the holes you have plugged with black marker pen.

• 2 months later...

they did look good at 1st but after an hour or so one of the rods which hold the decoy worked its way through the white sheild so i dropped to the ground,then 1 flew of the rod and bounced right across the field with me in hot pursuit quickly followed by a second then a third, :lol:

the rotary pair looked good when the wings were not blown upside down. :)

after one days use ive got one with the white collar shield flapping around,1 with a hole where the rod goes,3 coverd in mud and dirt where they blew accross the field. :good:

i dont think these will replace my shell decoys but i will give them another try when the wind is lighter, :D