Bedding job

Dougy

I have just completed a beeding job on a Tikka M55, and i must say when i got it all prepped up i and ready for the Devcon to go in i began to have butterfly's like never before.

What happens if i get a lock in ??? i have heard its disaster and a new stock on the cards :oops:

Have i filled in ALL the little holes ??? what if i've missed one ??? What if the gunk gets somewere its not supposed to and it fluffs the whole rifle up ???

I got the Mrs to get a bumper pack of cotton buds,rubber gloves i borrowed from work,(must take them back) a load of paper towels cut loads of wooden sticks for scraping off the over flow of gunk, checked for fit,about 10 times, and had a coffee. Checked over the prepped work top (in the kitchen) (Oh! it was well covered with a very large polythene bag cut in half and spread every were) The Mrs did a runner just in case :exclamation: she said she wouldnt be back till later :good:

This is it then here i go for the mix, it was bloody hard work at first its stiff stuff to begin with but soon gets soft as you mix in the hardner. I mixed the whole pot as i was adviced,just in case you mis judge it at runn out :rolleyes: 1/2 a kilo pot what was i thinking i could have bedded a skud rocket laucher :lol:

All mixed now got to go for it if its going to happen, or do i just chuck it in the bin and forget it, do i really need to put myself under this type of stress :yes: .

Well i started to fill in the mass void i had created with my new dremmel bit with the gunk, was there enough, well silly question really i had lost sight of what was once a nice looking piece of wallnut, so i assumed there would be enough in there with still 1/2 of the mix left. So like a man possesed i grabed hold of the action and placed it over the stock, checked the extra long action screws were seating into the pillars and down she went, dam it wont go all the way, something wrong,panic :sick: i've fluffed it, my stomach was turning over and over was i going to be sick ??? no chill out re-focus calm down its someting silly, but what ???

I had put the pillars in the wrong positions, muppet :whistling: swapped them over and made a right mess on the poly sheet oooops good job Mrs was out, tried again and this time it was good :good: Gunk oooozzzing out every were i think there was enough in. Cleaned up the excess with 100000 cotton buds and a roll of towel its was looking good.

Tighten town the action with the nuts slightly, left it for an hour and had a good clean up. Then gave the nuts a few more turns and removed the gunk that was oozing out.

left it for another 20 mins then did a better clean up of the action and stock. I was impressed, but wasnt out of the woods yet, i had the mega worry of the dreaded lock in.

It was done not turning back, put it back inthe cabinet for a day and forgot all about it, yes of course i did :rolleyes:

Sunday morning came round and i had to do it, out of the cabinet it came,and out the shed came the big mallet. Here we go then poo or bust, WACK on the barrel just at the end of the stock, it didnt move, it was solid, Oh! dear ! i wacked the action over the bolt housing then wacked the barrel again. it was then i nearly had an orgasm the action started to come out of the action :) i eased it out gently, which was funny as i'de just knocked 7 bells out of it, it was free and WOW what a brilliant job all nice and shiny what an expert i was a genius.

A little bit more work with the dremmel to remove the over spill and its now all back together and all is working well :yahoo:

I have just rubbed down the stock and given it a coat of oil its looking really nice if i say so myself. A few more coats and a bit of buffing and it will look amazing.

Thanks for reading, pictures to follow in the morning i'm just off to bed.

dougy

post-2987-0-38678300-1369809803_thumb.jpg

theres a couple of small chips on the bedding and a funny triangle from tape on the recoil lug inlet but its as tight as a ducks bum with the action

post-2987-0-12381900-1369809817_thumb.jpg

post-2987-0-90900500-1369809831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dougy

I have just completed a beeding job on a Tikka M55, and i must say when i got it all prepped up i and ready for the Devcon to go in i began to have butterfly's like never before.

What happens if i get a lock in ??? i have heard its disaster and a new stock on the cards :oops:

Have i filled in ALL the little holes ??? what if i've missed one ??? What if the gunk gets somewere its not supposed to and it fluffs the whole rifle up ???

I got the Mrs to get a bumper pack of cotton buds,rubber gloves i borrowed from work,(must take them back) a load of paper towels cut loads of wooden sticks for scraping off the over flow of gunk, checked for fit,about 10 times, and had a coffee. Checked over the prepped work top (in the kitchen) (Oh! it was well covered with a very large polythene bag cut in half and spread every were) The Mrs did a runner just in case :exclamation: she said she wouldnt be back till later :good:

This is it then here i go for the mix, it was bloody hard work at first its stiff stuff to begin with but soon gets soft as you mix in the hardner. I mixed the whole pot as i was adviced,just in case you mis judge it at runn out :rolleyes:1/2 a kilo pot what was i thinking i could have bedded a skud rocket laucher :lol:

All mixed now got to go for it if its going to happen, or do i just chuck it in the bin and forget it, do i really need to put myself under this type of stress :yes: .

Well i started to fill in the mass void i had created with my new dremmel bit with the gunk, was there enough, well silly question really i had lost sight of what was once a nice looking piece of wallnut, so i assumed there would be enough in there with still 1/2 of the mix left. So like a man possesed i grabed hold of the action and placed it over the stock, checked the extra long action screws were seating into the pillars and down she went, dam it wont go all the way, something wrong,panic :sick: i've fluffed it, my stomach was turning over and over was i going to be sick ??? no chill out re-focus calm down its someting silly, but what ???

I had put the pillars in the wrong positions, muppet :whistling: swapped them over and made a right mess on the poly sheet oooops good job Mrs was out, tried again and this time it was good :good: Gunk oooozzzing out every were i think there was enough in. Cleaned up the excess with 100000 cotton buds and a roll of towel its was looking good.

Tighten town the action with the nuts slightly, left it for an hour and had a good clean up. Then gave the nuts a few more turns and removed the gunk that was oozing out.

left it for another 20 mins then did a better clean up of the action and stock. I was impressed, but wasnt out of the woods yet, i had the mega worry of the dreaded lock in.

It was done not turning back, put it back inthe cabinet for a day and forgot all about it, yes of course i did :rolleyes:

Sunday morning came round and i had to do it, out of the cabinet it came,and out the shed came the big mallet. Here we go then poo or bust, WACK on the barrel just at the end of the stock, it didnt move, it was solid, Oh! dear ! i wacked the action over the bolt housing then wacked the barrel again. it was then i nearly had an orgasm the action started to come out of the action :) i eased it out gently, which was funny as i'de just knocked 7 bells out of it, it was free and WOW what a brilliant job all nice and shiny what an expert i was a genius.

A little bit more work with the dremmel to remove the over spill and its now all back together and all is working well :yahoo:

I have just rubbed down the stock and given it a coat of oil its looking really nice if i say so myself. A few more coats and a bit of buffing and it will look amazing.

Thanks for reading, pictures to follow in the morning i'm just off to bed.

dougy

ha ha, i just used a pack of jb weld, did a fantastic job and no where near 1/2 a kilo but more than enough, set ally pillars first as the wood work had been worked whilst loose and no longer fitted that well around the action screws

Out of interest WHY, did it have problems or is this simply and exercise?

Sorry Dekers, i had just woke up and didnt read your post properly.

The action wobbled in the stock from side to side by about 1.5mm. I suppose being over 30 years old its allowed be a little loose.

I am sure if i did bed another rifle it would be easier, as i know what to expect now

I'm thinking of doing my .243 soon. Did you pillar bed it as well or just bed the action in? If so where did you get the pillars and Devcon from? I'm looking at the pillars from midway uk, but at £30 for the adjustable one it seems a bit expensive for what they are.

I used remy pillars i got from Sparkie via Fister, they needed some trimming prior though due to them bieng too wide for the rear and too long for the front recoil area. The thickness vary's from about 1mm around the top side of the stock then approx 5mm were it was possible obviously i wasnt wanting to over do it in case i went through, and around the re-coil lug its about 7mm deep and then hollowed out as much as i dare at the sides around it. There's around 2mm around the pillars were possible again drilled into the stock side ways for a stronger bond along the length of the hole for the pillars.

Its done the job well, no movement now. Just see what it shoots like on Sunday at catton, mind you it was a shooter before so i'll see :good:

Devcon i got from Cromwell £27

Edited by Dougy

Sparkie & Fister are pw member's. I used a wood grinder tool to enlarge the hole's for the pillars. I had to be careful due to having a small amount of wood to play with, I thought I would have more control direction wise with the grinder bit.

I have some more pillar sets if anybody needs some

Are they a generic pillar set? I've got a Sabatti .243, there is next to nothing on the net about this gun, never mind pillar kits for it. How much would you be looking for for a kit? Any chance of sending some pics? cheers

Dougy, do you mean a die grinder/dremel? A friend of mine used a router but I need to speak to him about how he got the holes straight and parallel.

Edited by rtaylor

I used these to enlarge the holes for the pillars, as you imagine they no precision cutting tools. I didnt really think it would matter if they were not straight or parallel, as long as they were square to the action in the end. Its OK you cant see them anyway :lol:

post-2987-0-36363900-1369945108_thumb.jpg

Forgot they are 15mm & i used the PoLo mint for size

Edited by Dougy

Fister could you measure the length of the pillars and I'll check they will fit in my rifle? How much would you want for a pair of the pillars? If it all goes well my mate wants me to do his rifle as well so I might need another set off you.

I've got a set of those rasps for my die grinder. I'll probably try and drill them out on the pillar drill.

• 2 years later...