Just caught my first magpie in the Larsen trap

Hey guys. After weeks, months even, of my trap being set I have just caught my first magpie :yahoo: I've moved it from the trapping bit into the holding cage and put two bowls in there for food and water. The trouble is it's hopping around like a mad thing and keeps knocking them over! I haven't put anything in them yet because I figure it's too stressed to eat this soon, but will it calm down after a while?

I'm thinking that I may need to get some sort of feeders for it rather than bowls? What have you more experienced folk learned over time that could help me set it up for a minimum of fuss? And what should I feed it with?

I'd be really grateful for any tips!

dried dog food. Cut a hole in a plastic milk carton and tie to trap to secure, and get water in. Bird will calm a down a bit, but will start up again when you or its mates approach, so get food and water in. Your breaking the law until you provide feed and water, and also a perch.. Well done on catching your first though, your up and running now as they say..

Cheers. I'll pick up some dried food in the morning. It's got a perch and shelter so just needs the luxuries now - I figured it would be at roost over night so if I water it first thing tomorrow it will be fine?

As the law states that traps must be checked at least once a day I figure that allows 24 hours for it to be ok without? I don't plan to leave it any longer than I have to, just because it's a pest doesn't make it ok to let it suffer. It'll have food and water within 12 hours of being caught. It was going batty earlier so I figured it would be best to leave it to calm down... Then I've just read that it's best to get it over with. ******!

I made up a square bottle drinker as suggested and cable tied it in this morning. Also dropped some bread in there as a stopgap measure - I'll pick up some dog food when I go out later. For the food I just put a roof tile in the bottom of the cage so there's a decent surface that can be kept clean. I also made two new perches as the one in there wasn't great. They're now hazel instead of inch square man made tat.

Strange thing though - when I went to check it the cage had rolled down the bank and was upside down?! There's a lot of grass wear around it but not leading to it, so I'm thinking a fox may have had a good go at it and toppled it over? It's certainly not human as the long grass would give that away. Anyway, I've tied it to a heavy pallet now and will put some coke cans with stones in on top. If I hear them fall off I know to get the gun out and deal with the offender! Luckily I cable tied the door shut so whatever it was couldn't get it!

There were two magpies shouting at it from the fence this morning but as it was upside down - well they got away. Thinking about it I should have shot one! It was a late night last night so I wasn't up to much first thing!

I've shot two magpies in my garden this year but not had any more return in range. They're still about in neighbouring gardens causing misery but give my garden a wide berth. I haven't got the first idea on how to go about setting a Larsen trap but I think I'll have a look into it.

Cheers Mark, I'm well pleased with it! I've been told that it's better to have a stranger to the area as a call, so perhaps now I've got one I could swap with someone else?

I got another one in there this morning. Now I can't decide whether to put it in an old dog crate next to the trap so it looks even more attractive to it's passing friends than before? That way I can also hold a spare call bird just in case I need it for any reason? The call bird is much happier now. It ate all it's bread and was drinking when I looked out of the window this morning. Just what I wanted to see!

I picked my trap up at the game fair but if you're on a budget you can make them. Just a timber frame and some chicken wire will do and you can get the springs from Solway Feeders for less than a fiver. The ready made Larsen costs about £60. I got so fed up with having the exact issue as you Logo - they're clever! I've shot a few but now they sit in the other gardens and actually fly in an arc around the place most of the time!

Just like buses mate they all come along together lol keep it up. :) :)

Caught another two by the time I got up this morning! Got a squirrel in the box trap yesterday too, haven't seen one for months. It's going quite well at the moment.

They should be fine I had 2 in the holding cage

Can I hold more than one spare in the holding cage or will they fight?

I've finished catching now. 34 magpies and 10 crows since the middle of March on 25 acres. I fix a small can, with a cable tie, in one corner for water, just to keep the nosey parkers happy, but I have had callbirds last longer this year than ever just by feeding raw tripe that I buy in frozen blocks from the petfood supplier. I have had the same callbirds in most traps all Spring without having to give them any water at all. I lost one magpie, probably from stress due to a fox's attention and two were let out by interfering busy-bodies. I reckon I have protected all the first broods of songbirds. Anybody just starting, needs to keep it up to protect broods of birds who had lost their first hatching.