help zero

markws80

when I put the 1st shot (cold barrel) down to the target it will go about 1" left and a bit low 100 yards

reload 2st shot is bang on reload 3rd shot bang on bullet on bullet in the middle on the target ?

let the barrel cool right down no cleaning

Then put the 1st shot cold barrel down to the target it will go about 1"left and a bit left again

Reload 2st shot is bang on reload 3rd shot bang on WHY IS THIS??

gun is a 22.250 Home loads

but why is the 1st shot about 1" left and a bit low and the next 2/3/4 shots will be bullet on bullet ?

When the first shot is fired the moderator if filled with "just air" after the first shot the moderator is filled with gases from the propellant which is obviously a different medium which causes a different reaction to the bullet. With some moderators the first shot is also louder than the following ones. When you say you let the rifle cool down what happens is that the gases from the propellant disperse and the moderator fills with air again, hence the problem again. Try a different mod if possible. Hope this helps, ATB.

If as said on the other side nothing touches when it expands slightly I'd drop the action from the stock and re tighten everything again and try it again. Its odd if it has just started and everything else is consistent. You could try different ammo but if its repeatable then thats unlikely to be the issue. Is it a wood or synthetic stock etc

If the riffle is otherwise consistent then it sounds like a slight mis-alighnment in your setup and the first round is 'bedding you in' ie slightly moving your possition. Your follow through should confirm if this is the case. After release of the first round the rifle should recoil and then settle back on to the same point of aim before you release the trigger. If the point of aim has altered then your set up was slightly off.

Sounds like you've shot a bit and I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but muscle memory might have you setting up for the wrong weapon.

Whatever it is, hope you get it rectified.

Try firing 4 or 5 shots through it but leaving plenty of time between to allow everything to cool down and see what happens. It sounds like my friends 22-250, with some ammo the first shot was bang on but if the next shots were fast the POI crept up and right. Not sure what can be done about it, he just got used to it and allowed for it, it would pee me off though.