One dog or two?

Scottoj18

Hi guys iv got a harrier beagle bitch that's two. I'm thinking of getting her a friend and me a shooting buddy, most probably a lab.

But I don't want to upset the balance in the house. I tryed asking the dog what she wants and she just stares back with a blank look, no help there.

So I turn to pigeon watch for help.

Would adding a dog to the house upset things?

If others have done this and can offer pointers that would be much help.

Thanks Pw

hi scott ive got 4 dogs in house one at 12 ..8..4...1 they all get on fine when you add a pup you always get one that sulks .in time they all get on fine I would cage the pup at nights its save a lot of mess with in a couple of weeks the pup takes the cage has its home done this on my last two . wish I done it a long time ago .. if you want a springer pup a mate has got a litter due this week cheers phil

It might take the older dog a while to get used to it but it's not usually a problem at all..... Give it 6 - 12 months and they'll almost certainly be the best of friends.

Things sometimes get a bit more complicated if you also have cats in the house but even then, the cats will usually just put the puppy in it's place a time or two and then they at least tolerate each other.

FWIW, we have 2 very spoilt cats and I introduced a Lab into the household a few weeks ago and it's now going fine and I'll be introducing a Portuguese Pointer into the house in a few months time and don't expect any major problems at all.

Edited by shakari

hi scott ive got 4 dogs in house one at 12 ..8..4...1 they all get on fine when you add a pup you always get one that sulks .in time they all get on fine I would cage the pup at nights its save a lot of mess with in a couple of weeks the pup takes the cage has its home done this on my last two . wish I done it a long time ago .. if you want a springer pup a mate has got a litter due this week cheers phil

Cheers for that :good: .. We caged our beagle from a pup and would do it again .. Thats for the heads up bit got my head set on a black lab boy... Another question do good working lines in a dog make a better gun dog? I know the dogs ancestors have worked but aren't dogs just acting on instinct, then good training ??

Cheers for that :good: .. We caged our beagle from a pup and would do it again .. Thats for the heads up bit got my head set on a black lab boy... Another question do good working lines in a dog make a better gun dog? I know the dogs ancestors have worked but aren't dogs just acting on instinct, then good training ??

Better chance with good lines as the dogs would have passed their gene on that makes them champions,but good training helps a lot.

Defo a go with some decent working lines doesn't need to be full of red letters thou, personally i'm not a big fan off some off the more modern FT type lines (skinny, snipey heads and thin tails) i like the more old fashioned lines (solid body, squarish head and otter tail and good coats) try and get a reccommendation of someone u shoot with for local decent working dogs.

But no subsitute for good training as welsh says. But a dog should be more natural and easier trained when there from working stock