Rearing partridge

Hi guys,

Mate of mine is rearing some reds for his shoot. He did pheasant last year and did ok with them. I've worked on a game farm so told him everything I know

Anyway, his mum treated the pheasant last year like babies. Even going in a stroking them!!

I've told him to tell her that she can do that more so with partridge cos they go mad when u disturb them. She also fed the pheasant on scrabbled egg but I'm worried that may have a negative effect on the birds health

What do you think?

Landowners Mam bought 20 redleg day olds (lost four) and has put them under her broodies.They were fed on chick pellets;now them and broodie get mixed corn.We can't go anywhere near them as very skittish;like little velocoraptors;extrememly fast,and disappear into the grass if threatened.On walking away you can hear the broodie calling,and they all come back.

Only drawback is landowners Mam has grown attached and we have been told we can't shoot them!

I used to feed my rare breed chicks on boiled and mashed eggs it keeps them busy because its sticky and gets everywhere, full of protein for obvious reasons and really brings them on. When they get older i would add cod liver oil and corn and any other seed that was going. Reading a book at the moment and as has been said it seems keepers in the old days had to make up huge quanitites of feed in this fashion to feed all the broods, and in my experience it works.

I used to feed my rare breed chicks on boiled and mashed eggs it keeps them busy because its sticky and gets everywhere, full of protein for obvious reasons and really brings them on. When they get older i would add cod liver oil and corn and any other seed that was going. Reading a book at the moment and as has been said it seems keepers in the old days had to make up huge quanitites of feed in this fashion to feed all the broods, and in my experience it works.

Whats the book you're reading?

Tales of the old gamekeepers by Brian p martin bought it because i thought it might be interesting, but its actually really interesting because you don't think of the every day logistics that go in to keepering that modern keepers might take for granted. Well worth the 3 quid it cost of amazon.

Tales of the old gamekeepers by Brian p martin bought it because i thought it might be interesting, but its actually really interesting because you don't think of the every day logistics that go in to keepering that modern keepers might take for granted. Well worth the 3 quid it cost of amazon.

Tell me about it.

50 odd years ago some of our woods were 2 miles from the nearest hard track. With only an old Austin van driving there was out of the question so we had to carry bags of wheat across the fields and then up and down the cleaves to get to the pen. Was not too bad in dry weather as we could use a wheelbarrow but when wet it was on our backs.

We did our rounds on a pony with our shotgun in a holster strapped on the saddle !.