bsa spitfire

bazwold

just been given a bsa spitfire,not the motorcycle, alas,but fine bikes never the less.

no info with it but it,s in ace condition,how many shots per refill can i expect ?

it,s a .22 . how many charges per bottle ?can i obtain an extra bottle.

any info appreciated. :stupid:

Spitfires came in Standard Fill (sf) and High fill (hf). SF guns have a pressure cooker type gauge in the scope rail and are filled to 200 bar via a buddy bottle. You can get extra buddy bottles from most gunshops at around £50 or so new. They did around 30 shots or just less before needing a top up. HF guns have no pressure cooker indicator but charge directly from a pump or scuba tank to 232 bar and do around 55 shots per fill. The HF is generally regarded as the more desireable. They do have a history of leaking but other than that are solid field guns.

:lol: had the same gun once, still got the bits (don't worry, it doesn't happen often), here's my story...

bought the rifle in .177, was very happy as it gave me about 50 shots per fill & was very accurate to about 80 yards! until... it started leaking :lol: . found out it was leaking from the front seal within the air cylinder which just happens to be the only one i can't get to for replacement :( . anyway, i still have all the bits which i can use to have another gun built from, which is good as the barrell is faultless, i may even have another go at gaining access to the elusive seal. why do these things happen when the warranty runs out? :/

here's a few tips:

DON'T overfill, 180 bar will be fine, this should give you around 40-50 decent shots

DON'T use pellets that are too tight as you will eventually damage your barrell

DO check your seals occasionally, particularly around the filling valve (or better still, have your local gunsmith do it for you)

you could also try lubricating your pellets as this will help to look after your barrell

DON'T do any maintainance if you're unsure, ask a professional :good:

no' you can't get extra air cylinders for this particular rifle, but you could try using a small diving tank as a buddy-bottle, just be carefull as the filling probe will be held in by nothing but air pressure :)

hope this helps...

• 4 weeks later...