How much do you pay for an RFD transfer?

aris

Last time i sent a gun i was charged for the courier only with IIRC was TNT and it was £15. The buyer of the gun had to pay an RFD transfer fee but as thats where the important paperwork is done thats expected

Actually, the vast majority of transfers/sales done at a distance via RFD's are done incorrectly. The seller is supposed to write the gun on to the purchasers FAC and post it back to him. He then takes the cert to the receiving RFD who hands over the gun but doesn't do anything with the FAC as it is already on it.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Actually, the vast majority of transfers/sales done at a distance via RFD's are done incorrectly. The seller is supposed to write the gun on to the purchasers FAC and post it back to him. He then takes the cert to the receiving RFD who hands over the gun but doesn't do anything with the FAC as it is already on it.

J.

does that mean in theory that the receiving RFd shouldn't charge anything as there is no paper work to be done and for them it's just the same as receiving a parcell through the post?

does that mean in theory that the receiving RFd shouldn't charge anything as there is no paper work to be done and for them it's just the same as receiving a parcell through the post?

They can charge what they want, they are private businessess, after all. There is no requirement for an RFD to accept a transfer from anyone. Even then, they are still doing something as merely recieving it is providing a service. In reality, they have to do more than that as they need to open it and check that it's correct. They also need to put it in their register, although I'm sure many may not.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Yes. I fail to see the relevance to my post though.

J.

You said:

If you want to avoid paying a dealer just send it your self via Royal Mail.

So are you saying if I want to sell a shotgun, I just wrap it up and put it in the post via Royal Mail?

You said:

So are you saying if I want to sell a shotgun, I just wrap it up and put it in the post via Royal Mail?

Not sales but to send to an RFD you can send it via parcel force or TNT yourself if you do their dangerous good training for firearms or (catch 22) are a member of the GTA (and therefore have an RFD certificate).

Not sales but to send to an RFD you can send it via parcel force or TNT yourself if you do their dangerous good training for firearms or (catch 22) are a member of the GTA (and therefore have an RFD certificate).

So basically 99.99% of people have to go through an RFD on both sides.

You said:

If you are selling it to an RFD that is perfectly legal. If you are selling it to another FAC holder you can post it to an RFD for the purchaser to collect.

J.

You can't because Parcelforce will only transport firearms between RFD's and the sender must have an account with them. I think that TNT are the same.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

So basically 99.99% of people have to go through an RFD on both sides.

You only need use an RFD if it involves an actual 'transfer', basically meaning that it is being put onto someones FAC/SGC. If it is moving from an FAC or SGC onto a dealers register you can post it direct to him. If it is going to a dealer for reapir you can too and he can post it back to you, although many will be reluctant to do so.

J.

Mostly what i've read here on PW. A google found this:

http://www.gunmarket.co.uk/sell_your_gun/

Could be wrong of course. There seems to be very hazy information on the subject.

Lots of the stuff on that page simply isn't true. Depressinggiven that it's the people who publish Gun Mart magazine so you'd think they would know the law. As an example;

"British firearms laws prohibit sending shotguns and firearms through the postal service, and mail-order retailing is banned."

Both of those statements are wrong. Firearms laws do not prohibit the sending of firearms through the post, apart from section 5 stuff. Indeed, the Firearms Act specifcally exempts carriers from needing a certificate for their possession while they are transporting guns.

As to the mail order sale of firearms being banned. A rather strange statement from a company operating a website doing what amounts to that very thing!

J.

• 3 weeks later...

I phoned up my local RFD and they want £25 to send. I have to package it in the shop while they check it and I have to pay the courier cost. His reason for packing it while I was there was so that he could record the details for their shop records. Is this normal? Seems a lot of hassle to send a gun to another RFD?

I phoned up my local RFD and they want £25 to send. I have to package it in the shop while they check it and I have to pay the courier cost. His reason for packing it while I was there was so that he could record the details for their shop records. Is this normal? Seems a lot of hassle to send a gun to another RFD?

You do NOT need to use an RFD to send a firearm you own to another RFD. You can post it your self. The exception is something which is section 5.

J.