Price of ammo?!

So went into a local shop because I wanted to try something different in the .270,(try being the operative word as they may not shoot great ???). So I went for some federal 130 grain v shock. Now the tidy price for 20 shells was...£47.50! Now I know CF ammo isn't cheap but this seems excessive?

An I being ripped off or is the going date for a box of bullets nearly 50 quid these days?

Edited by wildfowler.250

That sounds like the RFD is playing you for a crazy fool :mad: - my local sells that for £25 http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=FED-270A

You need to start on the Prvi at £10 for 20 lol. http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=A161

At the mo I homeload my .223 at around £25 a 100, and less for the target stuff

Edited by Livefast123

A lot of it is really expensive because its imported in small amounts from America and that really pushes the price up. Privi is imported by the truck load from Europe so there are economies of scale although Privi too is going up.

My advice is shoot privi and keep the cases to reload later

Edited by Vince Green

Cheers for the replies guys :good:

Livefast that seems like good prices! Although mine were the ballistic tips,(tend to be slightly more expensive) there can't be £13 worth of difference between the two. So either your guy is very cheap or mine is v. expensive. I'm thinking a bit of both?

What do you guys make of the privi for hunting? I'm guessing for corvids and foxes it doesn't matter. Suitable for deer?

Many thanks!

Livefast that seems like good prices! Although mine were the ballistic tips,(tend to be slightly more expensive) there can't be £13 worth of difference between the two. So either your guy is very cheap or mine is v. expensive. I'm thinking a bit of both?

What do you guys make of the privi for hunting? I'm guessing for corvids and foxes it doesn't matter. Suitable for deer?

Many thanks!

I think it depends on your rifle I tried privi in .223 never again couldn't zero them

Now use Hornaby v-max expensive but accurate

I think privi is the dogs whatsits in .308 and .303, I use nothing else for target shooting out to 600yds. Everybody will tell you a different story. Buy some and try it, make your own mind up. Yes its very suitable for deer provided your rifle gets on with it. Try both the 130grn and the 150grn, should be about £14 a box of 20 so its not exactly going to bankrupt you.

Edited by Vince Green

Get yourself one of these, I have one in .243 and can turn out 20 rounds in 45mins for about £11.60p, you`ll need scales etc but still massive saving and more accurate when you`ve worked up your round

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_181_474&products_id=1721

Edited by malantone

That sounds like the RFD is playing you for a crazy fool :mad: - my local sells that for £25 http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=FED-270A

You need to start on the Prvi at £10 for 20 lol. http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=A161

At the mo I homeload my .223 at around £25 a 100, and less for the target stuff

That PPU stiff isn't £10 a box. It's nearly £13 with the VAT.

Other than PPU, and possibly S&B, centre fire rifle ammo is all expensive these days. Reloading is definitely the way to go. I've always reloaded and personally can't really imagine shooting without reloading. Not particularly for finances sake but because it's interesting in its own right and teaches you a lot about how firearms and ammo work.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Many thanks!

It's very common for dealers to have ammo in stock for a very long time. Contrary to what many people think, most RFD's don't sell shed loads of centre-fire rifle ammo day in, day out. When you think about it there isn't any reason they would. With the exception of things like .308/7.62 and .223/5.56 (which are used a lot by club shooters on ranges) there is very little call for CF rifle ammo. How much ammo does an average stalker use each year? It's a tiny amount in most cases which means that there isn't a great turn over of stock. Also, contrary to popular opinion, RFD's don't put huge mark-up's on ammo. Even if they did it still wouldn't translate into huge profits because very few of them sell large quantities.

The reason prices differ so much between RFD's is because you will be paying the old price on older stock rather than the current price. What makes things worse is that there have been some recent very large price rises from the manufacturers for various reasons which makes the RFD with the new stock look like he's trying to rip people off. Sellier and Bellot prices, for instance, rose by over 30% in one go last year and some of their ammo went up by over 40%!

£2 per round for most of the US made CF rifle ammo is not unusual these days. Remington load a .338 Lapua round which has a suggested retail price of £10 per round! What you also have to consider regarding the UK is that pretty much any ammo which has anything other than a plain lead unjacketed or FMJ bullet is considered section 5 and can only be transported by certain carriers at significant cost. If you asked an RFD to order you in a particular type of hunting ammo that he didn't have in stock the carriage would be at least £25 even if you only wanted one box of 20 rounds!

J.

So went into a local shop because I wanted to try something different in the .270,(try being the operative word as they may not shoot great ???). So I went for some federal 130 grain v shock. Now the tidy price for 20 shells was...£47.50! Now I know CF ammo isn't cheap but this seems excessive?

An I being ripped off or is the going date for a box of bullets nearly 50 quid these days?

we used to use them and they were about the same price and we used sako mainly but they were about £45 a box too! the 270 is a costly gun to feed! the .300win mag was cheaper!