cast bullets

Just had our second bullet casting session at my local rifle club......

post-17066-0-92215300-1375187221_thumb.jpg .357mag 158gn RN + wadcutter

very satisfying, we made 1000 bullets between us using recycled range lead. Im now waiting :rolleyes: for sizing dies to continue.

Sizes went from .22" up to 45.70 cal

Anyone else casting bullets?

Totally agree its very satisfying when you are only paying for electricity and the lube. I used to cast thousands a week when at the peek of my pistol shooting. The bullets worked out about £2 a thousand!

Takes a while to get the temperature and rhythm going but once you get that sorted it more of a case of where do you put them all :lol:

Don't do too much these days but every now and then I clean off the bench have a go..

We had a proper production line going, one pouring, five on moulds (some doubles and a 'sixer')

My goal is to find a super accurate combination of cast bullet / powder for rabbit / fox / target to 150m. dont know if thats asking too much from one load?

Had a rabbit with the Marlin .357mag @ 50yrds but stillmade me smile....

Oooh. Now I am drooling again.
I just got over my last urge and then this !

Nice.

U :-)

Underdog your photos are an inspiration.......keep em coming :good:

Moor man

Yes,i cast 357 boolits using range lead too. Infact i did approximately 600 a few weeks ago which should see me through the winter along with what i already had.

This was some i made time before last.They're currently waiting for the lube to dry before resizing.

0014.jpg

My safety gear when casting might make people wince a bit-shorts,t-shirt and sunglasses.

The most accurate load for my Winchester i've found is 9 grains of 2400,a 158g RNFP cast boolit and a Federal or CCI small pistol primer. When chrono'd it averages 915fps so its not particulary noisey.

This is the kind of groupings i can get at 50m.

100612.jpg

I keep thinking about getting a change of use with my rifle.