Do you pay more tax on your overtime?

bikemad24

Right excuse my arrogance but i dont want to go the tax website and go through all there tax jargon. Iv been a diesel mechanic since i was 16. iv had some really poorly paid jobs, because everybody has to start at the bottom but now iv got a very good job with a very good wage. but when i do overtime the amount of tax a pay that week is absolutely shocking. I paid over £300 last week in income tax and it wasn't that long ago i made that in a week!!!

I know there will be people on here that will answer my question. I also know there will be nothing i can do about it. It just makes me think your getting penalized for working hard.

I dont really get a choice, i have to do the overtime to catch up, or when a crane goes BANG in a spectacular way. Surely if everyone has more disposable income it will be good for the economy, i just cant get my head around it.

So, during the tax year the first 9440 you earn is tax free.

Then up to £40,000 you pay 20% tax - but only on the bit between the 9440 and the 40,000.

Each week your paid, your earnings will get multiplied by 52 and the above sums done.

Cause it's not a great calculation system you might end up being owed money next April (start of tax year)

Easy way to check, your payslip will show week number, gross pay and tax paid. Take gross pay, divide it by the week number snd multiply by 52 - that's roughly your pay before tax that your set to earn this year. Above numbers (some websites do the calculation real quick for you) should then match up.

A friend's daughter has just started her first paid job and bless her, didn't realise that NI contributions were complusory, she asked if she had to pay it even if she didn't claim.

Agree bikemad, it's getting crazier. :):)

Wish i earned enougth to pay £300 a week tax

I got made redundant 18 months ago. i loved working for that company, but the wages were very low. I had to apply for jobs i would not normally go for and as a result i got a new job with a pay rise. i know how you feel, and when i wrote this post i was mindfull of a reply like this. to be honest i feel like an idiot.

I got made redundant 18 months ago. i loved working for that company, but the wages were very low. I had to apply for jobs i would not normally go for and as a result i got a new job with a pay rise. i know how you feel, and when i wrote this post i was mindfull of a reply like this. to be honest i feel like an idiot.

Dont i was earning more 20 tears ago than i am now but wouldent swap back love my job even in the rain will be getting wet to morrrow you get wet then you dry