Howa 1500 stock issues

jimblowscash

Hi gang, I've recently bought a Howa 1500 in .22-250 and have had a little issue with it, it came as a kit with bipod, scope, mod and mag conversion from my local dealer at a very reasonable price, the stock is a houge over mould sporter and although its supposed to be free floating I've noticed that when on the bipod the end of the stock is flexing to the point of meeting the barrel as I shoulder the gun. In fairness to highland outdoors ( the dealers for Howa ) after a quick telephone conversation they agreed without fuss to my dealer returning it to them to be looked at and sorted as they haven't had an issue before with them but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had this issue?

My Hogue stock was doing the same so I ended up removing about 1/16th of an inch from the barrel channel giving better clearance. My problem was affecting accuracy so it needed doing but if your accuracy isn't affected leave it alone. I used a Dremmel to open up the channel. I've ended up putting a Boyds Stock on mine as the Hogue stock was a bit ugly.

Mine flexes like mad, moves all over the place! Can't stand it, ordered new stock and it hopefully should be here tomorrow! Will post a pic, didnt go for a boyds, wanted something different. Mine shot a Pred 8 on it, anyone else find them heavy? Wondered if that might effect it too?

Like i said my Howa had the laminate not the Hogue so i have no idea what that weighs, i do know the laminate is close to 3 lbs and i saved over a 1lb fitting the PSE stock. Howas are not the lightest of rifles, i ended up getting the barrel chopped to 18" on mine to save more weight and make it more practical for stalking.

Agree that Howa's aren't the lightest. My laminate comes in at a shade under 2.3lbs and the Hogue was a shade over. Saving over a 1lb in weight will make a big difference on the stock. How much extra did you lose by chopping the barrel? Not practical for my rifle (204) I would lose too much of it's good qualities.

Mines .308 so the barrel length is fine, you are lucky your stock is lighter than mine was, Boyds site says 2.8lb but i guess each stock is different, density etc I saved another pound plus on the barrel chop, from what i can remember the rifle is about 7 3/4 lb now. Does the job.

howa2.jpg[/url]

Edited by tharsus

I'm hoping it gets sorted out but if not and if accuracy is impeded I'm going to go for a boyds laminate thumb home stock.... We will see what happens.

Why don't you order the ambidextrous thumbhole from Highland. I had the same problem with my Howa, I got the thumbhole and it's been fine since:

PICT0357.jpg

It is a Boyds. £108 delivered from Boyds then £28 import duty/tax. Can't go wrong for £138 all in. I've also just received a Rifle Basix trigger unit (haven't fitted it yet) from Rimfire Magic so I can get my perfect trigger.

Sorry £136

Nice stock but the price is quite a difference.