The law on releasing vermin

Ok after a few lengthy discussions at Arbury hall this weekend, I'm really interested to know what the law is for releasing vermin once caught by a humane cage trap?

To release vermin is against the law? its should be disposed of humanely?

A man was fined £1500 for drowning a squirrel he caught in his garden in Burton on Trent.

Under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act, once an animal is under the responsibility of a human they have a duty not to cause unnecessary harm. ‘Pests’ like the grey squirrel can be killed in a ‘humane way’, such as a blow to the back of the head or shooting, but drowning or beating the animal to death is illegal.

I get a lot of request for squirrel traps now with quick release doors.

I would have replied the same as Penelope, but i would guess Stubby has the correct answer

How many licences are granted to release squirrels each year? I thought they just relaesed them on the quiet.

Never really heard off many licences being granted and i would off thought BASC or some other countryside org would be up in arms over it

Ok after a few lengthy discussions at Arbury hall this weekend, I'm really interested to know what the law is for releasing vermin once caught by a humane cage trap?

To release vermin is against the law? its should be disposed of humanely?

A man was fined £1500 for drowning a squirrel he caught in his garden in Burton on Trent.

Under the 2006 Animal Welfare Act, once an animal is under the responsibility of a human they have a duty not to cause unnecessary harm. ‘Pests’ like the grey squirrel can be killed in a ‘humane way’, such as a blow to the back of the head or shooting, but drowning or beating the animal to death is illegal.

I get a lot of request for squirrel traps now with quick release doors.

A job for an airgun. Releasing vermin is totally without any merit.