lamping tips and locations?

monkeyjaimz

Hi, im newly registered on here and im looking for a little advice on despatching bunnies.

Im a maintenance manager at a hotel, we have a large-ish field area and masses of underbrush largely populated by rabbits - which didnt used to be a problem until they started eating the bedding plants etc in the gardens. So i got the green light to perform a bit of a cull. Drawbacks being that i hadnt fired an air rifle since i was a kid and i had to be as discreet as possible as to not upset any guets at the hotel etc.

Anyway i got myself a fairly basic .22 smk rifle with a good scope and a sound moderator from the same gun shop i went to with my dad as a kid and have bagged 3 rabbits in 2 trips so far.

I get the feeling i should be getting more but the field area is floodlit at night (although i could turn the lights off) and after killing one rabbit i rarely get the chance to have a go at any others.

Im now thinking maybe i should be using a lamp with the floodlights off?

also i've had a go at a few magpies with little success, should i be using a 177?

p.s does anyone know of any farms or similar in the south humberside area i could practise on?

cheers.

I lamp a few rabbits with a (loud) shotgun on a piece of land. Never used an air rifle so I can't comment on them. I'd think that turning out the lights would be a good idea, rabbits can be a bit thick and even though I've lamped this place maybe 7-8 times in the last 3 weeks I still get a minimum of 5 each trip (gun holds 5 shots so that's what I usually aim for, am not there to wipe out just keep numbers down a bit. I like to shoot under 15 yards). I know it may not work in your case but I get my best success on windy nights, maybe if there's a noisey time at night you could go? Any cover like that is good, take your time don't go rushing in, be a bit stealthy and you'll be increasing your bag numbers in no time. Always keep any wind blowing from them to you, I know it's stating the obvious but just incase :blink:

I would find out where they are coming from and sit up and wait for them. Leave the lights on as they are used to them and this will only help you to spot them. Once you get one rabbit leave it where it is (if discretion allows). If you walk up to it and pick it up you will further disturb the rabbits and it will be longer before they come back out.

Try a few methods and work out what works best for you. This is not an exact science and everybody has their own methods.

I think patience is the key. If the area is big enough then try walking round but if it is fairly small I would go for the ambush points.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers for the suggestions, all very much appreciated. I'm having a hard time getting the bunnies to stick their heads out of the undergrowth at the minute (cant blame em really) i was layed in the brambles for a couple of hours tonight without any sightings. then as i was giving up for the night saw a handful in very low light (just black shapes really) right at the far end of the field. Trouble is the driveway to the hotel runs right past there and makes it kind of high profile for incoming / outgoing guests. Think i need to formulate a new strategy and try again next week. Perhaps now they've been shot at a few times theyre more wary and the lamp may prove usefull with the floodlights off? or leave the lights off for a few days to let them get more cocky and go in for the cull?

your thinking along the right lines there mj.

try and find the warrens that they are comeing from and set yourself up before they start to venture out. keeping the wind blowing towards you is a must tho if you are to have any success. if the rabbits catch your scent in the wind they will be twice as weary or maybe not even show there faces.

the more mistakes you make the more you learn the rabbits, the more wiser they become. :unsure:

good luck kipper. :yes:

let us now how you get on. :thanks:

• 1 year later...

:drool: Has the lads say keep down wind try Knocking lights of then use a small lamp i use a deben fits on scope. turn lamp on when you see eyes Knock it of then move slowy towards then switch lamp back on if you done it right he will be sat their waiting for a shot in the bonuce :D

change your times when you have a go at em because they will get used to you coming :o

i think in the 2 YEARS since he posted this, he might have got the hang of it by now. :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :no::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Do you reckon?

17052008024.jpg

18052008029.jpg

19072008065.jpg

18042008044.jpg

06_23_0.jpg

You may have a point :( :rolleyes:

I did try the soft toy thing and no it didnt work, although snakeys ploy of leaving the 1st one out of the bury alive as a decoy always has :hmm: