Cover Crops, Fert/Manure

Alright folks

Just a couple off quick questions for the more knowledgable farmer/crop boys.

Over the past few years been experimenting with various cover crops in very small areas scattered over the shoot, the land/soil is generally pretty poor, this year we braodcast Fooder Raddish and Mustard which are both essentially catch crops and pretty much grow anywhere in poor conditions. Both crops have germinated almost every where i have spread them but seem to have stunted and stopped growing, from wot i've read there meant to be very fast growing althou i never expected them to grow with full vigor due to the soil.

I think they are struggling because lack of nutrients (leafs a yellow tinge which usuallly means under stress) would some fert help in the next few days?

Got the feelers out with a few farmers for any loose spilt fert lying about sheds to chuck on and see if makes a difference.

But can u still buy it in 100lb (50kg) bags like the old days or all in 1 T dumpy bags? Meant to add wot N:P:K would be the most suitable?

And for next year i am right in assuming if they have germinated they should grow in that soil?

I will be able to get either proper cow manure/muck or chicken manure. Chicken manure would probably be the handiest for us to handle (as all hand balling) and cultivate BUT is there any danger of disease cross contamination from the chckens to pheasants?

Cheers in advance

Edited by scotslad

Not really had any experience with crops until this year so I am no expert. Can't see what harm there is in trying some fertiliser, better than doing nothing.

Going forward if you are worried about soil conditions why not pay for a soil sample next year. I think it's only £15 and the cover crop makers will tell you what will and won't grow.

Aye i think ur right ferretboy, when i broadcast it it was big P for plenty and clattered it on. Possibly not the best idea in hindsight especially when i know the ground is fairly poor. should have known better really

Think will try and cake ground with some muck next spring bound to help.

Struggling to get any fert, bad time off year for it really and with the ridiculaus price off it farmers aren't leaving split bags lying about like they used too.

Finnally does anyone know if there is any issues using chicken muck spreading diseass to pheasants?

Kings do soil samples for £15. And you will be surprised how much feed back they give you. Had mine done this season an it came to light that there was to much magnesium in the soil which was stunting the growth off the maize,, simply spreading the by product on from British Gypsum cured this resulting in 8 ft tall maize only problem now is think the beaters may get lost now haha.

Sounds like the ground is lacking Nitrogen, even at this late stage some would help. For small quantities why not try your local garden center for Urea as it's around 45% N and you won't need much.

Well rotted chicken manure would be fine as it will have heated up enough to kill any bacteria. However if it is fairly fresh it is far too strong and can harbor disease. You would be far better ploughing in proper manure and then applying a light application of NPK after sowing. It would also be worth considering an application of lime.