Mink How to trap them

fen traps worked the best for me had some old sheeting set up like a tunnle bait up in the middle of it (kippers i was using) and fen trap at both ends they have to get past the fen traps to get at to the bait had 5 this year and around 18 last year give it a few days befro set the fen traps!!! ian

thanks lads

i use mackerel the first few times with not even a sniff.

the traps i made are about 3 foot long with the fen trap in the middle and the bait at the end.

i made a long box with a cutout in the bottom for the trap to sit in so it looked sort of flush then covered the fen trap with soil.

then covered the box with leaves and branches.

looked great but totally useless

Try a live catch trap, with some bracken over it to make a natural tunnel, always on a raft. Alternatively I've made a fish paste by wizzing cat food and spreading it on an open raft. Get a safe shooting position with the bank as a back stop and shoot them off from the other side of the Lake with a 17hmr. :good:

Look up Pinkella on here, she sells good traps at the right price. :yes:

Beware of a live Mink in a trap. You will have one angry critter in there. :sad1:

Edited by Fisheruk

Try a live catch trap, with some bracken over it to make a natural tunnel, always on a raft. Alternatively I've made a fish paste by wizzing cat food and spreading it on an open raft. Get a safe shooting position with the bank as a back stop and shoot them off from the other side of the Lake with a 17hmr. :good:

Look up Pinkella on here, she sells good traps at the right price. :yes:

Beware of a live Mink in a trap. You will have one angry critter in there. :sad1:

Look her up on www.### she has good prices

Fisheruk's fish paste is a great method (also for rats) and keeps the mink still enough for a good shot but as he says, make sure you have a good backstop as water makes bullets ricochet like crazy. It may be worth using an open ended tunnel rather than a closed end with paste rubbed onto the ceiling of the tunnel just above the trap.

Thank you lads thats really great advice this mink lark is all new to me so thank you very much i will look at the website and see what she is selling.

thanks for the heads up about shooting on water i must admit i didn't know bullets ricochet on water.

just as a matter of interest what time of day do you find best for shooting mink.

i have night vision so can shoot at night.

i have some mackerel oil and herring oil from my fishing days will this be of any use.

Daz