Scopes

Al69ec

I'm after some advice on choose of scope.. I'm wanting one for a 17 hmr and a .243 I've been looking at the bsa sweet 17 for the hmr and really fancied it but with mixed reviews I'm not sure now. The bdc for me is not really an issue because during the weeks after I put in my application I spent every day I could on my permission walking it for potential hazards and working out the different ranges for the areas. I've got a budget of around £100 for each. Thanks

firstly if it at all possible think about re-appraising that budget. although scopes can be bought new for this I shouldn't bother as all you will end up in is a cycle of constant swapping. The most versatile scope ever made might be the 3-9x40 and a second hand Leupold will carry a lifetime guarantee who ever owns it, ok a good second hand one might fetch £150 as a VX2. A Simmonds Whitetail classic (Philippines made best bet) could just come under that £100 you give and might be the only lower priced option I might trust LONG TERM.

I assume you are thinking rabbits with the HMR and fox/ deer with the .243 win? So forget fiddling and twiddling, illuminated reticules etc. Maybe a fixed mag German scope might fit the bill 6x42 Hungarian S+Bender or Meopta? 7x50 Meopta or 8x56 S+Bender might be a wise choice. The quality of glass will surpass the previously mentioned and in the case of the S+Bender so will the price. Guarantee work is a non starter for these bought second hand and carriage and repair will not be viable cost wise, however you can generally drag them though hell and back without an issue.

Forget reviews in the mags, they are very biased and are normally followed with a stream of advertising over the next few issues. The day I read a review that says this product I shouldn't touch with a long pole even if you put a knife to my throat - then I will feel they are giving fair appraisal. :lol: Don't buy into their are no bad scopes these days, the shops are awash with rubbish