Protected Pigeons

BLACK

Chaps,

I can tell the difference between a stock dove and a woodpigeon. But having studied a lot of photos I am left with the feeling that the Rock Dove or Blue Rock could easily be mistaken for a feral. Am I right or am I missing something?

Thanks

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/rockdove/index.aspx

Many thanks Guys. I think I'm pretty sure of the stock dove these days although I have seen people mistake them for a young woody and have enlightened a number of otherwise very responsible shooters.

The real issue for me is illustrated by the link. Is it a Rock Dove (protected) or a Feral (not protected. RSPB appear to suggest that it is both.

Where are you.?..I would be very surprised to see a Rock Dove inland because as Cranfield correctly pointed out they are coastal dwellers. Its actually quite easy to distinguish a feral from a stock in flight, the stock is a more direct flyer and slightly smaller... If you are unsure then don't pull the trigger because if you do you and you inadvertently kill a stock you will be committing an offence.

I'm dismayed at the number of our members that cannot distinguish a Feral from a Stock dove...but then again I've been a birdwatcher for over 50 years.

If there are a lot of ferals in the area where you shoot its likely hat those coming to the decoys readily are Feral...Stock doves do Buzz decoys occasionally but in my experience they are solitary and generally disinterested.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Hi,

I'm not far from Scotch corner. We do have a fair number of stock doves up here. They will be around 10% of what comes to the decoys hence its very important that they are recognised and not assumed to be a "young woody". I'm happy now that the feral pigeons we shoot actually are feral pigeons and not Rock doves as we are well outside their range. Unless of course they drift across with the gulls.......