1st September 2013

Highbird70

Sirs,

This year I have joined the GWA as an associate member, we were lucky, that Silver Pigeon 3 as kindly agreed to take us out for the day, myself and Passionforangling.

How the day started.....

The morning Flight

I did not sleep at all on Saturday night....as usual prior a shooting day, my brain lets me down and becomes a brain of a 5 year old, going at LEGOLAND for the first time....so no sleep, I went to pick up Passion for agling at 02.30 in the morning....he was frsh as a rose...grrrr

Met Silver Pigeon 3, at 04.45 in designated location and wlaked to the decided location on the marsh.

We could tell, that was going to be a glorious sunny day. Unfortunally the morning wasn't very fruitful, 4 mallard came from the back of me, I paid the toll for not sleeping, my movement were slug alike...ohhh well its nice to see them flying.

The night flight

For the night flight, we went to this nice little marsh, set up with the help of Silver Pigeon 3, and waited.... after a while, that the no sleep was taken more toll out of me, in then form of allucinations (seeing ducks everywhere), I received a message from Passionforangling, as follow, Mark you do know that there is 3 mallards watching you, I thought...he's taking the Pi@@, then again I better double check, I stood up from the little creek that I was hiding in and................Ohhhhh lord.....3 mallards where there watching me, not even bothered that I was 15 yards from them, one of the usual decision came to mind...shall I shoot?? Answr was NO, I don't shoot nor on ground or water, so lets scare them I thought, took me 3 attempts to make them lift, waited that they were in the 30 yards and managed to drop one......at this point you can imagine my happiness and more hallucinations came to mind, fantasizing which way I was going to cook them for how many guest and so on...lol.I regain my thoughts very quickly, to realize that the mallard dropped in the middle of the very fast tide, Silver Pigeon 3 was very quickly on the scene with his trusted black Labrador Rosco, unfortunally was to much and to riscky for the dog, so I had to watch my dinner floating away with the tide.

Still it was a great day and learned a lot, a great THANK YOU to Silver Pigeon 3 and Passionforangling for making it a great day, I have attached some photos, morning and night.

Mark

post-60442-0-26056000-1378153789_thumb.jpg

post-60442-0-84163000-1378155383_thumb.jpg

It was great to be back out, meeting time was 3.45am not 4.45am - i will get a reputation for being one of those blokes that wanders onto the marsh after the flight has started if i am not careful :lol:

We were unlucky on the lost bird, After the dog had put the effort in to get out 50 odd metres into the river and was gaining on the bird the duck hit a change in currents and was swept at double the speed in a different course. I was getting a little twitchy before this happened as he was a long way out from the shore with the current against him on the way back, the recall training paid off and to his credit when asked he turned and headed back straight away. No duck is worth risking the dog for.

Looking forward to the next trip out.

Would that be by newaham on severn there great pic btw mark hows ur dog coming on

Hi Gpgreen,

The dog is coming along nice, at the moment I am introducing cold game, started with a pigeon, but she was very hesitant, took 10 min before going near it, I am going today to get another couple of pigeon, so that I can use the wings to start with, she does retrieve well and responds to whistle nicely, need to work more on the steadiness, sometime she runs in because shes excited, but if I say leave it, she will not touch the dummy.

I will share another video soon, thank you for asking

ATB

Mark

He never mentions his dog. I suspect that he has eaten it.

LOL.....you will eat your socks, when you will see her in action...........

I hope...lol

ATB

Mark

Edited by Highbird70

Looking forward to getting some dog tips off you as we'll !

Don't make me ruin your dog manners Daniel...lol, I have already have this nutter of a lemon pointer (Portughese Pointer) at home and struggling with it, the main thing for me its, she well behaves and she does what shes been told do for my needs....near enough to Trialing standards.

We can meet up and run our dogs together if you like, will be great to see having fun.

ATB

Mark