Cleaning kit for cz 455 .17hmr

beesley121

Shop around for a bore guide, one piece rod, a bronze brush, a jag and a bag of patches. A bore cleaner that removes copper deposits and shows when copper is present by colour change, and a solvent that cleans carbon and powder deposits.

Rimfire Magic can probably supply most of the bits for around £60. Give them a ring and have a chat. I will not let a bore snake anywhere near my guns.

look at the Boretech stuff! really good stuff its what i use, Russel simmons the UK F-class champion uses it and also her majestys sniper's! so must be good stuff!

the bore cleaner is non corrosive and also protects your barrel if left in there! unlike hoppes or something similar that will eat your whole rifle in a day! haha

I got a dewy rod and patches, along with some brushes and copper 1

Iv cleaner

Problem is the patches really domt want to go through the barrel!! Any advice?

Did you get a bore guide? It makes sure that you are pushing the rod in straight and stops you damaging the chamber. Really important in my opinion.

It seems a stupid question but I assume you got the right size jag and patches for .17hmr (sorry - had to ask).

You could try cutting the patches slightly smaller but without seeing them and "feeling" the rod as it pushes through the bore it is hard to know what your problem is, whether it really is too tight or you are being sensibly cautious..

If the bore is dirty the patch needs to be wet (they push through easier wet) and it can be hard to push a patch through, I often have to tap the end of the rod quite forcibly with the palm of my hand to push it through the barrel. After a few passes the bore is smoother (less crud) and it becomes much easier. Maybe try a brush first.

The jag I use is basically a pointed piece of brass that screws onto the end of the rod, I spear the middle of the patch with it. There is another type of jag which is more like the eye of a needle and the patch goes through it, I have not used that type on such a small bore. I hope I have got the terminology right.

I got a dewy rod and patches, along with some brushes and copper 1

Iv cleaner

Problem is the patches really domt want to go through the barrel!! Any advice?

have you got 3/4" patches?

dont bother cutting up the patches like said in the last post, if you stab the jag towards on of the corners from the centre it will make it easier to push through! stabbing them in the centre makes it as tight as it possibly can be!

as the gun gets cleaner you will want to work the jag as close to the centre as possible.

plus 1 on the patch worm,great invention,no worries about barrel damage,or breaking,will pull 3/4" patches through hmr with ease,get one,dont get rods or boresnakes,or you will have problems :no:

try "scrubbing" the barrel with a patch worm... yes doesnt work to well!

if people only have problems with rods why does every proper shooter use them?

i agree with the bore snake thing they are the biggest load of **** u could buy, and when it gets stuck in the barrel, its by by rifle...

callum

plus 1 on the patch worm,great invention,no worries about barrel damage,or breaking,will pull 3/4" patches through hmr with ease,get one,dont get rods or boresnakes,or you will have problems :no:

Sorry, your comment about rods is nonsense. Perhaps you would like to explain your problem with rods (quality, single piece). On bore snakes we agree and the patch worm concept seems to be a clever one but not a complete substitute for a rod and brush.

Damn..... another cleaning debate, why do I bother......

Edited by dadioles

Sorry, your comment about rods is nonsense. Perhaps you would like to explain your problem with rods (quality, single piece). On bore snakes we agree and the patch worm concept seems to be a clever one but not a complete substitute for a rod and brush.

Coz you care?

I've just done a very quick search on evilbay for Patch worms and can only find USA sellers and since I don't fancy paying $27 in postage

can I ask if there is a UK supplier?

(Apologies to the OP for slight hi-jack)

GH

Just buy a Boresnake from your RFD - not off E8ay ! - you don't "need" Rods, Jags, Patches ...............................

the boresnake does nothing to remove copper fouling from your barrel which is what you primarily clean your rifle to get rid of! it gets rid of the top layer of carbony **** yes, but doesnt remove any copper!

so you to clean your rifle PROPERLY you need a ROD JAG BRUSH PATCHES AND A GOOD BORECLEANER!

try "scrubbing" the barrel with a patch worm... yes doesnt work to well!

if people only have problems with rods why does every proper shooter use them?

i agree with the bore snake thing they are the biggest load of **** u could buy, and when it gets stuck in the barrel, its by by rifle...

callum

i dont let my gun get so dirty that it needs to be scrubed,i like my gun,so anyone who dont use a rod is not a proper shooter?what planet do you live on?

i just dont like pushing rods and brass down the barrel,i prefer plastic comeing into contact with the inside,then im sure NO damage can occur,thats just me

i dont let my gun get so dirty that it needs to be scrubed,i like my gun,so anyone who dont use a rod is not a proper shooter?what planet do you live on?

by proper shooter i mean the army and target shooters, their the ones that take the most care because groups have to be rediculously tight! not saying that stalkers and fox shooters arent proper shooters as tbh appart from the trip to the range thats all i do... haha

i just dont like pushing rods and brass down the barrel,i prefer plastic comeing into contact with the inside,then im sure NO damage can occur,thats just me

brass will not hurt the barrel atall their made out of a extremely hard steel!

the boresnake does nothing to remove copper fouling from your barrel which is what you primarily clean your rifle to get rid of! it gets rid of the top layer of carbony **** yes, but doesnt remove any copper!

so you to clean your rifle PROPERLY you need a ROD JAG BRUSH PATCHES AND A GOOD BORECLEANER!

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge ! - I now know my Tackdriving CZ 452 Hmr isn't clean to your standards - perhaps you could explain how come I can shoot sub 1" MOA even though the barrel isn't actually clean - Sprakles was shooting nettle stalks @ 90-100yds with it a couple of months ago whilst I zeroed my .204, dirty thing.

Oh & it's probably had around 3000 rounds through it.

Hi Snipers Eye

I respect your view about treating the barrel with care and the patch worm does seem rather clever but I have never found that patches are always enough, even with solvents, to remove the copper deposits. Infrequently I have to resort to a brass brush and some deposits can be really stubborn.

If you are shooting accurately and consistently (perhaps 1" group at 100 yards on a good day) then it is hard to make an argument for or against cleaning. On the other hand it is possible to imagine how any deposit in the barrel could affect accuracy and we have to respect the extreme accuracy of the target shooters who seem to clean after every few shots. They would always, I believe, use rods and without undue fear of the rod causing damage.

Cleaning, how to clean, what to clean with, or not to clean, is an endless debate in these forums. It is a bit like smoking. There is always someone with a grandad age 105 who has smoked 40 a day since he was 7 and he still walks to the pub every night.

I just noticed the post just before this one by V8 90.

You are right.... Your gun seems to be shooting extremely well so don't clean it.

We know that every gun and ammunition combination produces a different result.

Maybe some guns benefit from cleaning and others do not.

All I would suggest is that if you have a problem with accuracy, try giving the gun a "real" clean, it can take ages in some cases. If you don't have a problem, carry on with whatever regime you are happy with.

Edited by dadioles

Hi Snipers Eye

I respect your view about treating the barrel with care and the patch worm does seem rather clever but I have never found that patches are always enough, even with solvents, to remove the copper deposits. Infrequently I have to resort to a brass brush and some deposits can be really stubborn.

If you are shooting accurately and consistently (perhaps 1" group at 100 yards on a good day) then it is hard to make an argument for or against cleaning. On the other hand it is possible to imagine how any deposit in the barrel could affect accuracy and we have to respect the extreme accuracy of the target shooters who seem to clean after every few shots. They would always, I believe, use rods and without undue fear of the rod causing damage.

Cleaning, how to clean, what to clean with, or not to clean, is an endless debate in these forums. It is a bit like smoking. There is always someone with a grandad age 105 who has smoked 40 a day since he was 7 and he still walks to the pub every night.

I just noticed the post just before this one by V8 90.

You are right.... Your gun seems to be shooting extremely well so don't clean it.

We know that every gun and ammunition combination produces a different result.

Maybe some guns benefit from cleaning and others do not.

All I would suggest is that if you have a problem with accuracy, try giving the gun a "real" clean, it can take ages in some cases. If you don't have a problem, carry on with whatever regime you are happy with.

hi,thanks for your comment,as you say different ways of cleaning work for everyone,my way has worked for me for over 30 years,i have never used a rod on any of my guns,and have no accuracy problems,so i guess what ever works best :good:

by proper shooter i mean the army and target shooters, their the ones that take the most care because groups have to be rediculously tight! not saying that stalkers and fox shooters arent proper shooters as tbh appart from the trip to the range thats all i do... haha

brass will not hurt the barrel atall their made out of a extremely hard steel!

im a target shooter for over 30 years,my dad(RIP)was in the army 40 years,he was the one that learned me how to clean properly,with a pull through,an early version of a patchworm,he's nickname was,wait for it .................snipers eye.now i dont think he earned that nickname for stone throwing,any how i have not and will ever use a rod,my (and dads way) work great for me,and my mates,we all hunt and target shoot,we never have any accuracy issues,and some of our rifles are years old,but what work for some may not for others,thats the way the world works :good:

Just giving my 2 cents worth to this, CZ 455, remove and clean the moderator then go through it with a patch soaked in solvent, leave it for 5 min then go at it with a nylon brush. Then patch it our till patchs are clean. once every now then then i use a copper brush. After cleaning i have a .22 AIR RIFLE bore snake, it is very long which I pull through with a drop of oil on to remove anything the patches have missed. and into the cabinet . Clean every time I have the rifle out and it usually spot on for the first shot. If your going to clean do it right.