best chest waders for a salad dodger?

kiffy

I'm not going to lie they can do early season I just wear shorts, later on the specific wader liner bottoms which do a good job of wicking sweat away, the reason I went for the 5mm were three fold my theory is 5mm less likely to wear less, stronger should I get a snag and more material to prevent water ingress worked so far, but you soon get used to them no chance of getting cold that I can assure you been in water in -8 conditions and no hint of being cold, so a small price to pay to have reliable waders IMO

I understand your logic! I've been thinking about getting chesties, mainly soo that i can try and keep the rest of my clean and just get the waders mucky. And the odd occasion when i want to stand in deeper water. I usually wear thigh boots and i was out in the coldest weather last season without getting cold, just had to layer up sensibly.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your logic! I've been thinking about getting chesties, mainly soo that i can try and keep the rest of my clean and just get the waders mucky. And the odd occasion when i want to stand in deeper water. I usually wear thigh boots and i was out in the coldest weather last season without getting cold, just had to layer up sensibly.

One thing I can assure is you will not be cold, keeps you clean and dry, plus you can sit on what you want and not get a wet *** which is brilliant I wear thigh boots very early season but from now ill wear them every trip, you will wish you had done it years ago I bet when u get some best value for money piece of kit I've brought

Cabelas supermag. Done two seasons stored and cleaned impeccably. Now cracking across the fold line in the boots (aquasure applied last week to get some more life out of them). Neoprine repaired various places from tears. That said they are a very good boot BUT with postage exchange rates and charges way from cheap.

I also have a pair of breathable cabalas hung in the shed boots cracked up terrible after only 1/2 a season in storage (my fault really as some swallows nested on the inverted souls during spring)

Fact is salt and marsh mud / hard walking is Hell on waders. I wear thigh waders (cheap ones) and full waterproof over trousers in the warmer months when I don't have to deep wade or sit in the tide. Doing this just limits the wear time

I think I might get new boots fitted to both the cabelas next off season if I can find someone to do the work- why do good waders come with rubbish boots?

I have used ocean waders for years, both for fishing and fowling, they are fantastic value for money and last ages on the very rare occation I have put a hole in them its a simple case of using a puncture repair kit to fix it.

They are fairly loose fitting and as long as you layer correctly you will have no problem with the cold. My wife has just bought me a pair of uk made chesties with extra warm boots, we will see how well they compare.

What needs to be remembered about most of cabelas gear is that its made for the American market which is mainly freshwater fowling and as such do not stand upto the salty conditions anywhere near aswell as Oceans will, my last pair are still waterproof after 5 years of hard fowling but the strap snapped the other week, another bonus is they will clean and dry much faster than neo's.

i just ordered the cabelas ones, £140 delivered to my brothers house... hes off early thursday morning for ten days so hopefully ill have them in a fortnight

i did look at how much cabelas charge to send to the uk, with their service of paying all taxes and fees and with shipping it was over ninty quid extra...

i just ordered the cabelas ones, £140 delivered to my brothers house... hes off early thursday morning for ten days so hopefully ill have them in a fortnight

i did look at how much cabelas charge to send to the uk, with their service of paying all taxes and fees and with shipping it was over ninty quid extra...

Chances are you will still pay this plus £8 to parcel force for the privalage of driving to their depot and paying those taxes. In the old day a lot of stuff came though but today with all this internet the GOVERNMENT grab what they can. If it comes UPS express they send you the tax bill later, don't pay it at your peril

i wont have to pay as my brothers this morning on his way to florida and im having them delivered to his house for $5 and hes bringing them home. we know their going to be heavy for luggage but he doesnt generally take much luggage as he leaves most of his clothes and stuff over there so he should be ok on airport weight limits

oh, and incase anyone wants a palce to rent in florida, heres a link to his place... http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/usa/f1568.htm

Edited by kiffy

i wont have to pay as my brothers this morning on his way to florida and im having them delivered to his house for $5 and hes bringing them home. we know their going to be heavy for luggage but he doesnt generally take much luggage as he leaves most of his clothes and stuff over there so he should be ok on airport weight limits

oh, and incase anyone wants a palce to rent in florida, heres a link to his place... http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/usa/f1568.htm

I am sure he is used to the process then

Chances are you will still pay this plus £8 to parcel force for the privalage of driving to their depot and paying those taxes. In the old day a lot of stuff came though but today with all this internet the GOVERNMENT grab what they can. If it comes UPS express they send you the tax bill later, don't pay it at your peril

You can pay all the taxes on cabelas site so that the goods just come straight to your house without any extra fuss

6 pairs of waders later i can definatly say that without doubt i will never ever buy another pair of boot foot waders again. ive had a variety of different types from cabelas and they all end up splitting at the crease in the foot from walking. luckily, cabelas do have a good returns policy and although it is a lengthy (approx 10 day) proccess, i have sent mine back for a full refund with absolutly no issues. i even did 30 odd flights in my supermags before they split, i emailed cabelas, went outside and hosed them down, let them dry, sent them back and got a refund. you cant knock that for service!!

i now have stocking foot waders with the wader boots as these are actually made for trout fishermen for walking up to the hill lochs and lakes in the the highlands. so far they have been very good this season. the bonus is with the boot being actually laced up, it stays fast in place on your foot when you are up to your knees in mud.