Advice needed on shotgun and cartridges

Hi All ,

Would anyone care to offer some advice / opinions on the following......

The farmer wants me to try and do more damage to crows / pigeons on his land , he lent me his shotgun the other day to get e started on them.

Could you advice on which shotgun is best for this type of shooting ( need to be a cheap shotgun) am I better with a s/s or o/u and also which cartridges would be

best to use , the last ones used were No6 32g...I think

Thanks

Tommy

Edited by Varmint223

12 bore size 6 30g or size 5 32g will do all. Forget any talk of small or extra large shot for the steel plated Crows/pigeons. Its all talk, especially under 40 yards which still present a very interesting target .

If you fancy a 20bore or even a 28 you can, but the cost of shells will go up and to be fair the benifits unless you want a very light gun and potentially high recoil, don't.

Thanks lads for the help , I will try and see whats on offer in the sales section , my mate has offered me his 12g S/S non ejector so I will try that to see how it feels , I did have a Baikel 0/U but it never really felt that comfortable when using it......probably just me though .

12 bore size 6 30g or size 5 32g will do all. Forget any talk of small or extra large shot for the steel plated Crows/pigeons. Its all talk, especially under 40 yards which still present a very interesting target .

If you fancy a 20bore or even a 28 you can, but the cost of shells will go up and to be fair the benifits unless you want a very light gun and potentially high recoil, don't.

Don't discount 28gm of 7 or 7.5 shot. These are more than capable of killing crows and pigeons, especially under 40 yards.

For a few pennies extra why worry about range and just use size 6? Each to their own and all that but range finding is hard to start with so size 6 removes some considerations and makes life easier. I know 7.5 does the job in the right place as done it myself but still use 7. Or 6 where I can with a preference for 6 as it does so many things.